Chapter 20:Umbridge

Y/n Pov:

DADA, one of my favourite classes. I was quite doubtful on how well it would go this year, considering the high and mighty ministry of magic sent Dolores Umbridge was our teacher. I studied hard with Mione for my owls, so I hope the teacher won't mess up my grades.

Parvati made a paper bird fly and everyone admired it. Crabbe shot a rock at it using his slingshot. I hit his head with a book causing a few to chuckle. But the class silenced as the bird started to burn and turn into ash.

"Good morning children" Umbridge said with the smile I so despise. But I calmed myself, new year at Hogwarts, so I'll give the teacher a chance. "Ordinary Level Wizarding examinations" she said as the words appeared on the chalk board. "O.W.L's, more commonly know as owls" she continued standing in front of the classroom.

"Study hard, and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be, severe" she said plastering that wicked grin on her face.

She put up her wand and the books on the teacher's desk began flying towards us. "You previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven" she continued as the books landed on our desks. "But you'll be pleased to know that from now on you will be following a carefully structured ministry approved course of defensive magic" she explained.

"Yes?" she asked as Mione raised her hand. "There's nothing in here about defensive spells?" Mione asked. "Using spells?" Umbridge asked giggling. "I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom" she added.

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asked. "You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure risk-free way" Umbridge replied. "What use is that if we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a risk-free way" Harry stated. "When we're on our knees and we're hurt, we will need to know how to defend ourselves" I added.

"Student will raise their hands when they speak in my class" she replied. "It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all is what school is all about" she added.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asked. "There is nothing out there dear, who would you imagine would want to attack children like yourself?" Umbridge asked. "Oh I don't know maybe.." Harry replied. " Lord Voldemort" he and I chorused

If it wasn't silent already, it was now. "Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie" Umbridge stated. "It's not a lie, I saw him, Y/n fought him" Harry protested. "Detention Mr Potter!" Umbridge yelled.

"And what about Cedric Diggory's death?" I asked. "According to you he dropped dead on his own accord?" Harry added. "Cedric Diggorry's death was a tragic accident" Umbridge replied. "Cedric was murdered by Voldemort! Harry and I saw him die before our eyes!" I yelled. "Silence!" she shouted. "If Cedric Diggorry was murdered, the for we all know, you could have murdered him Ms Black, all of us know you're talents and abilities, including your days in Azkaban" she said.

"How dare you!" Harry yelled. "I would never kill anyone, let alone Cedric. Looks at this scar on my neck, look at it! One of Voldemort's followers slit open my throat after murdering Cedric in cold blood!" I yelled. "Enough!" Umbridge shouted. "Detention for you too Ms Black" she added.

"And criminals remain criminals Ms Black, always and forever. You've caused death and you'll cause death again. Come meet me later" she said. How did she know. How did she know about what happened before Hogwarts.

"I don't care what you say, Professor. It is the ministry who was blind five years ago and is still blind to this day" I replied. I could feel Pansy's, Draco's and everyone staring at me trying to understand what was going on. But I kept my gaze forward, glaring at Umbridge.