Chapter 44: Choice

Y/n Pov:

"Morning" Pansy said as I got up. "Draco brought you in, said you fell asleep in the train" she explained. "Thank you for the info" I replied. "We never really got to talk in the hospital" She stated sitting down beside me.

"So it's true, you knew him" she asked. I nodded. "Why would you not tell us?" she asked. "Many reasons, one of it was to keep you guys safe. The less you know, the better" I replied. 

"So you don't want to give him to Amos?" I asked Cho in the ravenclaw dorm. "It's just complicated. I want to be a regular girl, in love with someone, living my life" she replied. "I don't know what to do right now. I love him in a way I never knew possible, but I don't want to give up my life just for him. I've already spent a lot of it mourning Cedric" she added.

"Do your dorm mates know about Colin?" I asked. "They think he's a stray baby I found. I swore them to secrecy after I brought him in. We take turns in caring for him" she replied. "Doesn't the Slytherins have quidditch practice today?" she asked. "They do, but Umbridge made me leave the team a very long time back. I've never played a proper quidditch match in the name of Slytherin" I replied sighing.

"She horrible" Luna said walking in. "She made me remove my charm in class" she added. "I'll get it back for you" I replied. She smiled in response. "Hello little Colin" she said picking up Colin from his cradle. "He is such a beauty" she added.

The next few weeks were quite fun for me. Umbridge wasn't after me as much, DA was going well, with everyone learning the Patronus charm and my dorm mates and I were on good terms. Draco and I sneaked to the astronomy tower every night to watch the stars and to the library to read. This was the simple life I wanted.

"Harry calm down, she likes you, I know that" I said to Harry. He was having another one of his overthinking episodes again, this time about asking Cho out. "Yea mate, listen to what she's saying" Ron said backing me up. "What if she doesn't say yes?" Harry asked. "You are being ridiculous Harry, any girl would be lucky to go out with you" I said sighing. 

"She's occupied now days" he said. "She has a few things on her mind, but she will say yes if you ask her" I replied. "If she says no, we'll find you someone else" Hermione said. I nodded in agreement. "I don't know, maybe it's best I don't ask" he replied. "Harry James Potter, get up and ask her out! Stop acting like a bloody chicken!" I yelled. He sighed and got up, dragging himself all the way to Cho.

Everyone was busy on Valentines day. Hermione and Ron spent the day together in Hogsmeade, watching over Harry and Cho's date. Pansy and Blaise spent their time snogging in the dorm. Fred and George went to Diagon Alley with the permission of Professor Dumbledore to find a place for the candy shop they were going to open. 

Draco left saying he had a surprise for me, which left me alone, as I needed to be.

I walked into the room of requirement, for the privacy I so needed, and I took out the black envelope from my pocket. Another letter from Tom. I debated on whether to open and as usual, my curiosity won.

My dear Y/n;

I feel such pity for you, the anger you have caused me is huge and now you shall suffer for it. I have your precious Joane and Stuart with me, and Narcissa Malfoy. At the stroke of midnight tomorrow, I shall execute them and use their blood to quench my hunger.

However, I will spare them on one condition. Find a child, not a pureblood, borne in the month of December. A spell of mine depends on such an addition. Give my delivery boy such a child tomorrow evening, and your friends shall be spared. If you fail to do so, even telling Dumbledore will not help.

Go to anyone about it, and the execution will be immediate.

Lovingly, Tom Mavolo Riddle.

I couldn't breathe after reading it. I couldn't make a choice like that, and if I wanted to, I could never find a child like that. But could I?

'Colin' his named flashed across my mind. I could never do that to a child, and to Cho. But with lives at stake, is it wise to rule out that option?

I wanted to find what spell he was doing that he needed a non pureblood child born in December. Therefore I ran up to the library, searching through all the the sections for some mention of such a child used in a spell.

Nada, nothing. I found nothing on any spell. It must be one of his own. I don't have a choice but to, to give him Colin. I had no choice. One life against three, three lives was a higher priority.