Chapter 52- Rings

Davido- Jowo

Things were much more romantic on the other side with Veronica as Davido's Jowo boomed from the speakers all the way at shore.

Yes, Calvin had gotten them aboard a boat on the Volta lake from an exotic resort and it was a private ride under the star spangled night sky as they cuddled in each other's arms in the lounge chair close to the stern talking about everything they'd want to do in the future. This was the first time they were actually together in the open without having to hide in the Café.

They started to talk about music which was the first time he'd ever spoken of such a talent.

" I used to be in the school choir back in highschool." He admits and Veronica gasps.

" You don't say?... what were you singing, How Great Thou Art??" She joked and he laughed.

" Not always that, sometimes we did covers like I Need You and Lean On Me."

" That sounds great. I've never really done any extracurricular activities that isn't remotely related to academics. " Veronica chuckles, " I think it was mostly because of my mom. She never really spoke about those."

" You should try it. I mean Faye is playing soccer now and Ciarra's been sneaking into the Junior Jury every now and then."

" You noticed too? I don't know why she doesn't want anyone to know. And yet we kind of always notice her everytime." Veronica comments, " I still wanna try singing though. Mae is so good at it."

" Definitely. Hey, we can do one now!" He suggests, " Wait here."

He quickly gets down into one of the rooms downstairs and returns with a guitar.

" Hey, Babe listen to this and if you know the lyrics you can follow."

" Another surprise. You play the guitar."

" Pft!" He blew her off with a nervous smile as she stood up with both arms folded in mock surprise, " I found a guy down there who could play."

The guy showed up and waved nervously as a still breeze blew past them. Calvin handed the guitar over.

He smiled and picked at a few cords as the tune to Pink Sweats and Kelani's At My Worst plays.

Veronica was surprised he had such a corny voice and damn she knew the song.

Calvin drew closer to her and took her hand in his as he sung to her and twirled her around in a little dance. And for all of you who knew the words to this song, it honestly sounds like a proposal and that's just what it was.

Can I call you baby? Can you be my friend?
Can you be my lover up until the very end?
Let me show you love, oh, no pretend
Stick by my side even when the world is caving in, yeah

Oh, oh, oh, don't, don't you worry
I'll be there whenever you want me

I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'd do the worst

Ooh, ooh-ooh
Ooh-ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

He slowly knelt down in front of her as he sung this part retrieving a stark white box from the pocket of the Houston Rockets hoodie he had on and opened it up revealing  a silver ring with white diamonds forming the shape of a rose. Veronica didn't want to be one of those cheesy girls who cry during proposals but she couldn't help the tears in her eyes as he sung the last part .