Chapter 1- Trees that lined up

Sara  Bareilles- Brave

This chapter is dedicated to Louisa Arthur for all the motivation.

Glaring at the several trees that lined up the endless street up the hilly path to the main colossal building serving as the school's  administration block, Ciarra could not imagine anything so interesting about this school.

  She scoffed and sunk into the cashmere seats of her father's  SUV. Her Dad, being the affectionate father took her hand in his in a comforting way.
When he was being nice,he spoke English with her, but when he was trying to sound menacing, he switched to the language of her birth - French.

"It's going to be alright,  this is the best public school in the country. You just have to be smart and stick to your books and all will be fine." He says with an encouraging smile as Roland, her chauffeur takes a turn on a curb.

The administration block came into view, a massive  white and navy blue building with four flagpoles at full mast in front of it. Two on either sides of the main entrance.  The flags on the right were of the school's Crest and Ghana and that on the left side of the entrance were of the United States and the  United Kingdom.

Two traffic  control officers stopped the car with a red flag  from proceeding any further. Roland, her chauffeur rolls down his blinds to have a word with them.

"We're sorry Sir, but vehicles carrying students are not allowed any further from this point." He informs them politely, " You can park in the designated public parking space."

He points at a distant parking lot. Roland thanked him and makes a turn towards that place and later parks with the numerous vehicles there before stepping out to open the door to the father and daughter in the backseat of the Escalade.

The chill in the atmosphere as she stepped out didn't seem to escape her notice and it was just September.  The cool breeze from the  topmost part of the Kwahu mountains rushed swiftly through her hair blinding her slightly as she tucked the stray strands behind her ear. She pulled her sweater closer.

" Come on honey, let's go. " He took her by the hand and led her towards the walkway, ' Roland, you bring along her stuff.'

Roland gave him a nod of the head before winking at  Ciarra when her father wasn't looking and she couldn't help but smile at his boyish attitude.

    The weird thing about high schools in this country was that,  they were like going to college.  People from different middle schools and junior highs write a nationwide  exams to get into the best high schools in the country; we're talking Ivy league  high schools. Schools that once housed the president, tutored the wealthiest people in the country, and inspired the biggest of celebrities. The Former UN secretary general was once in one of these 'Ivy league' Senior High Schools. The more of these categories of people graduating out of your school, the more students would want to choose your school.

So Nelson's  was a school to die for, and they had the most limited admission list for only 1000 students per year. Most students were drawn to it not only because of its academic excellence and discipline but also for its fame in extracurricular activities which were beyond fun. They also had the best connections with local and international colleges because of its alumni. Students from  this school were therefore easily accepted by colleges they  apply to.

It was basically  THE school to BE in.

Probably,  these students  were up for more than they bargained for.  No school is  that awesome without something sinister going on.

Ciarra was already in the school's  uniform  which consisted of a white short sleeved shirt, a grey vest, blue and grey burberry pleated skirt as well as white knee-highs and black Mary Janes. No wrist bands were allowed,  only watches.