Chapter 59- The twin cities

Faye's....

Crying in the club- Camilla Cabello

The persistent buzzing of her cellphone woke her up. Faye groaned feeling her bedside drawer for her cellphone. In a sleepy stupor, she squints at the screen. A dozen missed calls and texts from Ladi. One caught her eye and she chuckled.

@It'sMagma: Should I dress up formally? Please reply to me.

It was sent at dawn. Was he that anxious? Her dad was really chill so he didn't need to be so worked up. The only problem was that her father fed on people's fear. The more you are afraid of him, the scarier he becomes to you but the more cozy you get with him, the friendlier he becomes.

@FQ: just put on something decent 😉😉

The next couple of messages were from Ashanti and her best friend Truth from the first boarding school she ever attended.

@TruBaby: Hey loser, what do you have in mind for the break?

Ashanti on the other hand was going on about some housewarming get together at her side since she and Healenore were practically home alone.

Still tired, Faye threw her phone lightly across her bed. Well, not until the door is kicked open revealing yours truly- Juliemalone Maame Efya Quansah. She stood in her yellow Justin Bieber Purpose concert cropped hoodie and black sweatpants with both arms folded across her chest with a dismissive look on her face. Like that look your mother gives you when she tells you to do something and you totally forgot.

Faye croaked something incoherent and turned on her side.

" Seriously, are you sleeping?...Dad just went over to the hospital to get mom discharged and here you are. We need to fix up the place, especially her room!" Eight year old Julie freaks out and Faye's eyes flutter open.

This was a big deal.

She jumped out of bed and headed straight for her bathroom.

" That's the spirit, I made breakfast by the way!" Julie calls after her as she pops some toothpaste unto her brush.

It sometimes bothered Faye why her family didn't allow them to be kids for long enough. Just like Julie, Faye had begun learning basic stuff at seven. At the time, her mother had just been diagnosed with the illness and she hated seeing strangers in her house catering for stuff. Neither did she like relatives who constantly nagged and verbally abused Faye. She kicked everyone out and decided to teach her little girl everything by word of mouth.

By the time Faye was eight, she could sweep better, do the dishes standing on a stool at the sink, do the laundry with the help of the washing machine which her Dad always helped her to operate and cook some simple meals; egg stew and rice.

It was when Major Quansah was called up for a second mission in Romania that he decided to put Faye into a boarding facility and hire a nurse for her mom. Sadly, that was a very bad idea because three years after nine year old Faye was placed in the boarding house, she was a whole different person. Not the little girl he thought he was protecting. She had cultivated several naughty behaviors.

He vowed to not repeat that in Julie's case, because he didn't know what she will come out with. First off, she wasn't his biological daughter and she was oblivious to that. Where she came from was really nasty so he vowed to give her a better home.

On his first mission in Romania, they had to get rid of the source of the civil wars, the drug lord. He was a filthy rich merciless mercenary. It took eight months of precise plotting to be able to invade his seemingly impenetrable abode. He was caught unaware but wasn't unprepared. A series of shooting sprees erupted between the military and his men. Even his girlfriend wasn't an ordinary woman. Major Quansah wrote in the book he published after the war, ' I have never with my own eyes seen a woman carry a firearm so courageously and kill so many people.'