Chapter 71- Exonerated

Ellie Goulding- Burn

Mornings at Manhattan was generally very intense because Mrs Asare was one strict house mistress. Anita was already out of her cabin to her class for her early morning prep so her cabin wasn't really fixed, it was a mess. Ashanti being her school daughter packed everything up and made her bed for her. Then she saw her core Math question book. Anita had told her she had an Integrated Science and core math test that morning.She would definitely be needing it, Ashanti thought. Ashanti retrieves it from Anita's desk to return it to her later. Then they hear the familiar call.

" Ladies, Prim and Proper!!" Mrs Asare was calling for every girl to be by their bedside for inspection before leaving for class. She enters and slowly scrutinizes each bed and everyone's dressing for class.

" Young lady, your socks are sagging get a new pair during the Open day." She points at Mae referring to that Sunday when their parents were going to come over to check their academic performances.

" And you over there, recomb your hair again and see me for final inspections before you leave for class." She tells Sarah as everyone held their breaths.

" Kweiba, did you even press your uniform last night?"

" I'm so sorry Madam, I was late for rehearsals so I wasn't able to." Kweiba responds

" It's like a jungle in here, where is Anita. No order, and a lot of callous attitudes."

" She stepped out early." Praise replied.

" That doesn't mean things have to be a mess. Who's her assistant?"

There were no hands.

So she elected none. "You are deputy." She points at April who was surprisingly looking prim and proper for a constant alcohol addict.

April almost passed out at that.

" You will be cleaning out the garden today and this time you should be able to make it back on time to iron your uniform." She refers to Kweiba who looked like she'd cry.

" Why is there gum on your bed?" She asks to no one in particular and the girls begin to glance at each other.

" I'm talking to you Healenore." She reads from Healenores name tag on her bunk.

" Oh madam, please it's not mine." Healenore refutes, " I didn't do it."

" You're cleaning my backyard tonight and that thing should be gone by tomorrow." She states, " Is that a hoodie I see over there, you know Hoodies are unprescribed."

She picked it up with her white cane from Velar's bed as if it was the most foul thing she'd ever seen.

" I'm adding it to our donation to the orphanage and Velar, you're in charge of the gutters this week."

You'd think she'd groan or show any sign of frustration, Velar just stared her down.

" Ashanti!"

Ashanti panicked at the mention of her name, she hardly ever got herself in trouble because her grandma had promised her that the moment she stirred up trouble, she'd spend the entire vacation on campus so she was threading lightly, " Yes ma'am?"

" Good job." She smiled at her neatly laid bed and Heather also grinned, " And Naa Djormo, please polish your shoes well. I want you to show them to me before you exit the house. You girls are ladies. I don't know how you were raised at home but I am not going to sit back and watch you be unkempt. I will make you into the Manhattan girl we so pride ourselves of."

She leaves the dorm and everyone sighs.

" I swear I've been in this school for three years but that woman still scares the living daylight out of me." Zak laughed as those ready begin to exit.