CHAPTER 71

" I dreamt of you last night - as if I was playing the piano and you were turning pages for me."

- Vladimir Nabokov, letter to his wife Vèra (1924)
Letters to Vèra (ed. Brian Boyd & trans. Olga Voronin)

__________________________________________

Third person's pov
___________________________________________

Hearing the defeated tone of the young man filled with sorrow and helplessness, and his head hung low, the old woman finally gave in.

But she needed to ask something before so she did.
"But...But how do you know about this?"

Xander seemed as if he expected her to ask this so he took out his phone and made a call.

Passing the phone over to her, he sat back down with no expression on his face. It seemed as if he was observing and contemplating at the same time in his mind. A lot of thoughts were going around in his head but the one he was most concerned about was his Triantáfyllo. He needed her to wake up soon. He needed her to be alright and be by his side.

On seeing the name on the phone screen, the old lady was shook. She could feel her mind going numb, her eyes widened and her body started trembling. Her breaths came in short intervals and she couldn't think anything, it seemed as if her world had was completely shook and then silent.

"Hello..."
The voice from the other side of the phone spoke. When there was no answer for a minute, Mike repeated,
"Hello.....Xander?"

It was only then that the old lady came back to her senses but her fingers still shook. With shaky handse, she put the phone to her ear and hesitated before uttering softly as if she was afraid something would break.
"Do....Doctor Mike?"

Hearing the soft voice, he had not heard in years, Mike was dumbfounded. He couldn't believe Xander had actually found her so soon, in only one day.

"Mrs. Love?" Although Mike was glad to talk to her again.
"How are you?"

"I'm...I'm good." She stuttered again.

Her eyes darted towards the young billionaire and a lot of thoughts crossed her mind.
How does this young man know Doctor Mike? Is he his son? No, that cannot be. As far as she remembers, Doctor Mike never married and even if he did marry in the years after she left, his son could not be the same age as this man. Then, who is he?

Mike sensed what might be going through her mind. Knowing Xander, he was sure the latter must have not explained anything to her. He sighed before speaking,
"This man is one of my patient's husband. Her wife is going through something..... she's going through the same thing you went through. But the only difference is that you woke up in just ten days and it's almost going to be a month but there's no progress in her condition. Please do help Xander. He's like my son and his wife is like my daughter. I don't want anything to happen to them so I was the one who suggested you to him."

Understanding everything, Roop Love gave her consent and hung up the phone before turning back towards the man clad in black.

"I will tell you everything."

Xander gave a slight nod in affirmation. He was relieved hearing that though there was no change in his blank expression. His heart saw a slight ray of hope and he couldn't help but look forward to it. He would give his everything just to gaze into his wife's eyes once again. Those eyes that never failed to hold him captivated have now been closed since so long.

*

*

*

*