CHAPTER 129

The moment they reached home, Xander immediately went to his study, leaving Scarlett standing there in the living room alone.

Scarlett made a confused face at his rushed manner but brushed it off thinking something urgent at work must have happened.

She slowly traced her steps back to her room and then closed the door.
The money, how can it go away?

***

On the other hand, Xander in his study was fuming. He searched all the corners of his desk madly looking for something important.
When he first entered the hall at Maria's house, he had decided in his mind to just ask them straight away and be open about it but when he saw the panicked expression on the face of his Triantafyllo, it gave him a certain kind of hope.

That...that maybe this is all truly a misunderstanding.

That she didn't marry him for his money and that she isn't going to leave him.

This hope made him think about the investigation report his subordinate had submitted to him in the beginning of his marriage.
He hadn't looked for it because he didn't want to doubt his triantafyllo. If she had any secrets, he hoped she would herself come and tell him. And if not, he would still wait for her.

But now...

No, he needs to find it.
The funny thing is he wouldn't even feel bad if she truly married him for his money. After all, all this money that he earned was earned just for her....and only her.

So if she wants it, she can have it,
He'll give it all to her.

But why....

"Why money from...from her?!" He groaned as he clutched his head looked up at his ceiling.
"Why Triantafyllo? Even if it was needed, atleast.... atleast, you could have told me after the marriage? Or maybe a month after or an even six months after but why not tell me and instead now you suddenly decided to leave me?!"

After a quarter of an hour passed, he stopped to gather his breath before closing his eyes and thinking hard about it.
Where did I keep it?

And soon, he recalled it. Bending down, he opened the last drawer of his table and completely pulled it out before feeling for an extremely thin hidden compartment that would only open by pressing a certain mechanism, in this case, it was a small and tiny brown button, almost blending with the hickory drawers. After pressing it twice, the secret compartment would slide forward and present itself.

Xander pressed the small button and the very next scond, he saw a thin sheet of wood sliding over and over it, there was a brown long envelope placed.

Reaching out his hand, he picked it up.

However, for a moment, even he didn't know what to do. On one side, he just waved to rip it open and see for himself what is the truth and on the other side, he...he was scared to open it.

What if it is the truth? What if all I heard was true?
Then....what will I do?

This question stumped him. He doesn't know what he's gonna do then. One thing is sure though, he is not going to let her go.

He doesn't want to lose her. So, no matter what the truth is, even if she did truly have an agreement with Maria, it wouldn't matter.

All he wanted was her and now he got her. So, he can't let her go.

But.....

"It still hurts, triantafyllo. It hurts badly..." he slipped down against the wooden chair while holding the envelope.

"I'm scared to open it." He murmured to himself while looking up at the ceiling, the document still in his hand.
However, after thinking for a few moments, he still decided to just rip it open at once.