CHAPTER 78

"I won't kiss you. It might get to be a habit and I can't get rid of habits."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald // Flappers & Philosophers
___________________________________________

THIRD PERSON'S POV
___________________________________________

Xander was stunned in his place the moment he heard her speak.
Without caring about anything else, he quickly clutched her hand tightly, not willing to let her go. He thought that if it's a dream then he would rather dream all his life than wake up.

His fingers trembled slightly and his heart jumped in joy. His Triantáfyllo was awake!!!!!

SHE WAS AWAKE!

He couldn't stop saying this in his head.
His lips curled up into a wide smile, the kind of smile never before seen on his cold face.
His other hand went to her face to touch her. His big hand softly grazed her tender and slightly pale cheeks.
"Triantáfyllo, can you hear me? Are you awake, my love?"

His voice was so tender and gentle and soft and low as if he did not want to disturb her but at the same time he wanted her to talk to him with her sweet voice.

He couldn't think of anything else at this moment. The next second, a few doctors came rushing into the room.
He had already texted them the moment she woke up.

The machines around her started beeping a little fast so he quickly walked out of the room to let the doctors do their job.

Once he came out, he couldn't stand still. Walking fast to the end of the corridor, nearby the empty staircase, he finally took a deep breath and closed his eyes shut.

She's awake....and I can finally be with her....

But it was at this moment, that he finally realised what had happened before.
His mind now registered what she had spoked just when she woke up.

Precious?

Xander didn't know what to think. A fleeting look of shock flashed across his eyes but there was also a tinge of excitement and joy.

Did she remember me?
Although Xander would be extremely happy if she remembered him but that was not quite right. She should not remember him.

She cannot remember him. It was impossible.
She should not have remembered him!

Xander's heart skipped a beat as he felt a strange feeling in his heart. On one hand, he wanted her to remember him but on the other hand, he didn't want her to remember him.

If she remembered him, then that means she'll remember all those painful and dreadful nights too and will again be in so much agony. Xander could not see her like that not would he ever want to see her like that.

He wanted her to live a carefree and happy life with no worries and tension. He did not want her to have any stress, not even about a simple little thing. She should just be happy and smiling always.

His heart clenched and he felt a little ball of pain rolling around in his heart as he remembered the scenes, those dreary and horrible scenes few years ago.

If possible, he never wanted her to remember anything regarding that. And that is why, all those years ago, he had done what he had to do to ensure her safety and happiness.

And if her living a good and happy life required him to be forgotten by her, it was still worthwhile. He didn't mind it all.
Atleast, he didn't contribute to her pain.