CHAPTER 15

Everything is more beautiful
Because we are doomed.
You will never be lovelier
Than you are now.
We will never be here again.

-HOMER. THE ILIAD.

Scarlett's pov

We both went inside.
Xander's hand was still on my waist.
I guess he was also surprised enough to not notice that.

We entered the living hall.
Maria was standing there with two other persons. I looked closely at them. The man on the right side of Maria looked strangely as my father and....the woman beside him looked like my mother.

Oh, shit! No!
They were my father and mother.
No , no, no, please tell me Maria didn't call them.

They turned around on hearing our footsteps.

"Mumma, Papa. Aap Yaha kese?" I asked looking at them in surprise.
(How come you guys are here)

"Hum tumse gussa Hain. Tume hume btaya kyu nhi?" My mom asked as if she's talking to a child. She wasn't angry, I know. Just disappointed.
(We are angry with you. Why didn't you tell us?)

"What? What didn't I tell you?"
I asked. I was confused. What were they talking about?

"Scarlett, you never told us you are getting married." My dad said.
My dad wanted me to complete my studies first.

"That's not her fault. She told me to that she'll only marry if her parents agree. That's why I invited you guys. I got to know you guys were in Connecticut, staying at your friend's because of some family function. So I thought there can't be a better time to talk to you." Maria explained patiently.

Now it all made sense. Maria was the one who called my parents here. I know my parents were here because of Uncle Raj's daughter, Maya's wedding. I visited them before. But I don't know how Maria knew it. And why she called them here?

Wait.... don't tell me that she.....
Yes, exactly. You are thinking right. Wow! You are smart to figure this out, idiot.
It's obvious she called them here to talk about your marriage.

Oh, no, no . This is bad.
Oh god! What should I do?

"But still, she should have told us that she was in a relationship and loved Xander." My mom said frowning.

Whaaaaat? What again?
I ...me? In love?

My eyes were wide looking at mom.
They went from her to dad and then finally to Maria who was looking at me with a sheepish smile on her face.

Okay, I get it now. Well, I hope so I do.
She told my parents that Xander and I are lovers and wants to get married.
That's why at the entrance, she told us to act like we are in love.
Which reminds, Xander still hasn't taken his hand off my waist.

Not that I mind. It feels good.
Wait...what am I saying?

I could feel someone looking at me intensely. I turned around to face who this person was. It was Xander.
As usual, his face was unreadable but his eyes....they held something, something rare, something beautiful, something deep and intense. I couldn't name that emotion. I don't what was it.
But it was gone within the blink of an eye.

"So , what do you guys say? I told you everything about Xander and I." Maria asked my parents.

At this point, Xander looked straight at her looking somewhat uncertain.

"Yeah, we think...." My mom started.
I intervened in between,
"but mumma, ye to Indian nhi h."
(But mom,he is not Indian.)

I needed a reason and I used the one I used before with Maria.