CHAPTER - 130

"Where could he have gone?"

On the other hand, Scarlett was extremely worried about him as she paced back and forth in the front hall, looking out the window from time to time, seeing if he would be back any minute now.

After five minutes, she again looked out the window before her eyes turned towards the wall clock hanging beside the huge snow wolf painting.

It was already one in the morning. "It's so late. When will he be back?"

Her brows furrowed as she slightly bit her lower lip. Suddenly, a thought struck her... "Could he have gone to a sudden business trip just like last time?"

However, he had promised her that he would let her know beforehand going on any of such business trips, so that she would not have to worry and besides, they had aready cleared their misunderstandings. "So shouldn't he have told me before going away?"

Even after coming to this possible conjecture, her heart still didn't sit well...insead, there was a feeling as if she has lost something this night. It didn't feel good. There was this strange anxiey in her heart as if something big has happened and she's just staying in the dark, ignorant of what is happenning around her.

"Where are you, Xander?" She whsipered as she clutched her phone close to her chest.

The night turned more dark as tme passed by. She licked her lips as the deafening silence of the night scared her. The clock pinted at a quarter past two in the morning and even the slow ticking sound of it frightened Scarlett.

She looked around the vast but silent hall and slowly made her way towards the large french windows once again. "Maybe....he'll be here soon."

She didn't want to fall asleep in case she missed him when he arrived. Although, the nights in the early november weren't that cold but as the night progresses, the colder it gets. She hugged her shivering body and she wrapped an ac blanket over her. Even after waiting for half an hour more, there was still no sign of him coming home, no sound of any car approaching.

Looking at the wall clock again, she sighed, the short finger pointing almost at 3 while the long one was still at 11. It's not like she hasn't ever stayed up late before or pulled any all nighters. She has done them before, like during exams or when having a movie marathon all night.

But the night right now feels a bit more scary to her. She didn't even think of going upstairs in her room to rest because firstly, she wanted to wait for him in the front hall so that she could talk to him the moment she arrives. And secondly, she felt scared being alone in such a huge mansion so late at night.

Even before he went onto any business trips, she mostly always called her parents or friends to talk till late until she fell asleep so as not to think about how scary the night would be.

But right now, she had no thoughts of doing as such. She is more worried about Xander to be in the mood to call anyone else. The one person she wants to talk to the most is not picking up her call.
"Xander....just, pick up. Please!"

But no matter how much she pleaded on her own, the other side never picked up the phone.

***

*ring-ring*

"Mmmh....who's this?" She mumbled in her sleep as her hand reached for the phone placed beside her on the table.

Once she got up, her eyes widened.
As she looked around, it was already morning the next day. And...she seems to have slept the night on the living room sofa.

It seems Xander didn't come home last night.

Nonetheless, she placed the phone beside her ear and answered without even looking at the caller ID to see who has called.
"Hello."