(JD) Dutton Rescue

Request from @whateverthecostner on Tumblr. The reader meets John at a bar and he steps in when someone is being mean to her. 

- A curvy reader

The bartender slides me a drink as I sit on a barstool in the neon light bar. I had just recently moved here for a change of pace away from the city. Wanting to just enjoy the beauty of nature. I simply sip my drink before someone leans on the bar counter beside me. "Well Hello honey. Can I buy you a drink?" A man's voice spoke. Turning my head I see he's a little overweight with a terrible hair cut and a strong smell of alchohol in his breath. Showing him my drink in hand I decline his offer, perfectly happy sitting in silence. "I already have one, thanks."

But he clearly isn't having it. He leans forward and I get a lump in my throat as his lips brush against mine. "Come on honey. I know you want me just as much as I want you." I shove him away gently now that he's reining my pleasant evening. Yet his arms wrapped around my waist trying to kiss me, I elbowed him in the gut causing him to moan. The man growled as he suddenly punches me in the cheek. I stumble backwards into the barstool feeling a burning of my left cheek, my eyes watery from the pain.

"A girl that looks like you doesn't deserve someone like me." He spits pushing me backwards to the stool aggressively. "No man wants you!" I feel tears slip at his words. I wasn't as thin as most girls my age and I've come to terms with it. "That's no way to treat a lady." An older man's voice met my ears having me look over my shoulder to see an elder man wearing a black cowboy hat with western clothes. "How did you know I'm not treating her the right way, old man?" The jerk guy spits out.

The old man gently takes a step forward holding out an open for me to take. I hold my burning cheek placing my freehand in his letting him pull me up to my feet. "I'd take a long hard look at yourself, sir before judging an innocent girl just by how she looks." The young guy looks to his larger belly before scoffing and storming out of the bar, bumping drunkenly into tables and people. I can't believe that guy was so rude just because he was drunk.

The strange cowboy releases my hand in his introducing himself with an outstretched hand. "That man was an idiot for trying to insult ya darlin'. I'm John, John Dutton." I shake his hand lifting myself up back on the barstool once again to see the bar has mostly cleared out for the night. "Hi John. I'm Y/n, Y/n L/n. Can I buy you a beer...as a thank you?"

"I - uh - I really shouldn't.." He messes with his hat like he's nervous but when we locked gazes something changed. "Awe fuck it. But I'll owe you one. Say dinner at my ranch next weekend." I blushed slightly at finally realizing I knew the man beside me.

The Dutton's own the largest amount of land in Yellowstone. Herding cattle and training horses in many generations throughout history. Everyone that lives around them knows the name and that he'll do anything to keep his home. John sipes his beer smiling my direction since I hadn't said anything for the last five minutes. "You okay there darlin'?"

"Oh - uh yes." I blushed a deeper red looking into his warm eyes. "I just realized I'm talking to the famous John Dutton." He chuckled at my reply, tipping his hat up to see my face better. "That's beside the point. That man shouldn't have said those things or laid a hand on you tonight."

I take a long sip of my drink brushing some hair from my eyes. "No man should treat any woman like that. I know for a fact he only did it because he's jealous that you're beautiful and embrace who you really are." A genuine smile appears on my lips. It has been years since someone had called me that. I rarely ever kept a boyfriend because they broke off the relationship to be with another girl.

"Thank you, John." But the old cowboy before me is something different. A true gentleman in fact. "Instead of next weekend, how about we have that dinner tomorrow?" I smile brightly at him curious for his answer.

John gets off his barstool laying down a piece of paper on the counter, tipping his hat to me with a gentle smile that looks really good on him. "It's a date, miss Y/n." He exited the bar for me to turn over the paper and see his phone number scribbled on it. "Good old cowboy." I mumbled to myself grinning like a child. Maybe moving here isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Comments welcome and requests open :)