Evelyn's Survival (60th!!)

Request from houndswife
What would happen if Evelyn survived her accident. How would her life with John and the kids be different.

A huge thank you to everyone who's sent in request either on here or on Tumblr.

John's POV
Slowly opening my eyes a grin so big I'm suprised my face could manage it. Laying beside me in my bed is my amazing Evelyn, my loving wife. Her hair tousled everywhere as her eyes flutter open. "Morning my darlin'." I yawned brushing a hand through her hair. She scoots over under the covers leaning up and kissing me. I immediately kissed back remembering that every day I have with her is even more of a gift than before her accident with the horse. I'll remember that terrifilying day for years to come. Beth came sobbing to me about her mother and Kayce stayed with her in the field until I found her.

"You're thinking about that day again aren't you?" She spoke slowly her head lays on my chest as I stare out our bedroom window. "It's hard not to my dear. I thought I'd lost you." She lifts up climbing from the bed making me sit up watching her every move. "What are you doing Eve?" Once she's dressed she throws my clothes at me, putting her cowgirl hat on her head. "We shouldn't waste our day laying in bed. Let's go take a ride together." Throwing on my clothes she was already heading for the barn. The front door opens for Kayce to run pulling Beth outside who shivered seeing her mother climbing on another horse. "Sweetheart it's okay. I'll be with her this time. I won't let anything happen to her." I bend down on a knee trying to calm her down.

Evelyn has been teaching Beth all sorts of things but even she can still see fear in her children's eyes. Jamie has been gone for a few years now at college to become a lawyer to help this family. Lee's been learning how to lead the ranch from me. Kayce and Beth took quite a scare more than the rest of us did at the possibility of losing their mother. Climbing on my horse fixing my hat Kayce shifts foot to foot. "Can I ride with you?" He climbs on in front of me watching his sister slowly stare at her mother. Evelyn looked to her only daughter remember her almost last words weren't kind to her. Everyday she's been trying to fix that relationship between them. Beth would never tell her mom this but she'd tell Kayce, she doesn't hate her mother like she would've if she had died and that was their last conversation together.

"Climb on up honey." She helps her sit on the horde feeling her daughter nervous. "Take a deep breath. We'll be okay all of us." She whispered something I can't hear before I pull reigns suggesting something fun. "How about a race?" Evelyn nods kicking her horse getting a head start. Kayce raises a fist when Lee gets on his horse pointing at mom. "After mom!" Lee races ahead of us with me and Kayce following him. Watching my wife on horseback in front of me I try to not clutching the reins in fear of her injury. The sun glows over the hills in the distance lighting her hair that blows in the wind. Catching up beside her I smiled and she smiled back before Lee passed us heading back to the barn. "First one back gets first dibs on mom's biscuits!" He called over his shoulder making Kayce try grabbing the reins from my hands.

Pulling my reins I chased after my eldest son with my two girls beside me. Kayce loves those things so much that he kicks our horse making it go faster to nearly burst through the fence passing his brother. "I win Lee!" He gets down but Lee tackled him down as I get down from my horse helping Beth down. "If you head there now they won't notice. Go on babygirl." I whispered giving her a head start seeing her slowly walk up the stairs until the boys noticed a few seconds later. "Bethany don't you dare!" Lee warned running to get her with Kayce leaving his hat in the dirt running with him. "She's cheating!" Evelyn and I shack our heads laughing while putting the horses in the barn.

"I love you John." She takes a seat on the porch swing, tugging me down beside her grinning. "I love you too, Eve..." I removed my hat putting it on my legs seeing something bright in her eyes. "There's something else isn't there?" Her freehand rests on her stomach watching my gaze shift to it. "Happy anniversary my sweetheart." She breaths out before I kissed her passionately. She kissed me back with the same passion wrapping her arms around my neck. Once we break the kiss I rest my forehead against hers making her hat fall on the porch. "If it's another girl can we name it after you?" I questioned smiling down at my wife. "I'd love nothing more." She kissed me again laying her head on my chest watching the sunset.

Comments really appreciated :)