(JD) - Nurse Wife

3rd John Dutton request in one day! Request from @kaymudd
on Tumblr. The reader John's wife takes care of him after he returns home. But gets emotional thinking she'd never see him again so he comforts her. (Younger reader/set in season 4)

Spoilers possible if you haven't seen season 4 premiere.

Looking out the kitchen window I see the ambulance and Livestock truck pull into the driveway. He was finally coming home after being in a coma for two months, my husband John Dutton. We’d recently gotten married a week before the attack on the whole family happened. I’m younger than John but we don’t care about age. We both love the outdoors and the peacefulness it brings. We actually met when my truck broke down on the side of the road and like the gentleman he is he offered to help free of charge. During the attack luckily I was here on the ranch hiding in the Bunkhouse with a shotgun in my hands.

Maggie, his assigned nurse from the hospital started getting his medication as I hang his hat cowboy hat on its hook in the kitchen. The ambulance guys carried him upstairs to which he complained the whole time. Beth kissed his cheek and she dragged Maggie out of the room, leaving us alone. "John..." I let tears slip immediately when the door closes climbing to sit on the edge of his bed. Brushing my hand on his stubble chin. He's grown a beard from being asleep for a long time.

"Darlin...who's the woman?" He weakly rests his left hand to my face. I figured his mind is storming with questions and Beth made me promise to not tell him until he got settled back home. "The hospital insisted you have a nurse who knows your schedule, her name's Maggie." He squeezes my freehand is his other cutting me short. "You'll be my nurse. You're all I need baby."If only it were that easy. John's always made me swoon just by the way he uses certain words. I'm no way qualified to do that job...Maggie is qualified. "Listen to me. I don't want anyone else to take care of me, except you my wife." He sternly spoke turning my chin to look into his eyes to all I replied with was a head nod.

About an hour later the house was silent wrapping my arms around my husband we both stumbled to the bathroom so he could shave and change his clothes. "Where's my hat?" He groans slowly I helped him down the stairs hearing Maggie crushing up his medications into liquid. "In the kitchen on the hook, just how you would've wanted it." Rounding the kitchen she sees us and shrieked watching him head straight for his hat moaning in pain slightly. "Mr. Dutton, get back to bed!" He stares my direction placing his hat on his head. "Lisen Maggie, you're fired." He goes out the backdoor and I followed grabbing his prepared drink with his medicine inside. Same old John Dutton.

Sitting beside him on the swing he sees my body shaking a little and tears welling in my eyes as I never took my eyes off him. "Sweetheart what's wrong?" Wiping away the tears in my eyes I hand him the drink. "It's nothing big, honey." Truth is I'm overjoyed and terrified at the same time. I mean what are you supposed to feel when the doctors tell you that you're husband is in a coma after being heavily shot at and left on the side of the road to die. He takes the glass eyeing me to strike a deal. "If I drink this slop. You have to tell me what is upsetting you, deal?" I nodded yes watching him nearly gag in disgust drinking the contents.

"It's just...I thought I'd lost you John. When Kayce came home telling me what happened I had no clue what to do, to think, so much that I layed in your bed in Lee's house for almost half of the first month. I was so horrified that you'd die - I couldn't imagine you not in my life!" Suddenly I started sobbing making him drop the glass shattering it on the wooden porch as he pulls me into his chest. "I love you - I couldn't - I can't bare to lose you..." He firmly presses me to his chest arms gently around me while my hands clutch his shirt.

He buries his face in my hair trying to calm me down by placing kisses to my forehead every few seconds. "Ssshh honey I'm here, I'm right here. Now you listen to me alright.." He lifts my face up in his hands wiping away my tears with his thumbs. "Us Dutton's are as stubborn as cattle to go down without a fight. The people who did this will pay." He leans down kissing my lips for the first time after spending so much time apart.

"I love you, Y/n. And I promise I'll never leave you or scare you like that again." I wrap my arms around his neck gently pulling his lips to mine, craving his touch too much. Breaking for air I rest my head under his chin breathing in his calming scent. "I love you too John. I don't want to ever be separated again." He gently squeezes me closing his eyes thankful to be holding me in his arms like he never left the ranch that day for that meeting. Like for a small second...the attack on the Dutton family never left scars on his family's ranch.

Comment and vote
Requests are open :)