21

Tess

Doing a science project at, as always, Hen's house. Mr. Hart is away for some trip for work, I think. 

"And they have a minibar with all kinds of fun snacks. And look at all these free soaps and lotions they leave in the bathroom."

"Oh, wow, hang on. I got to pause for a sec."

"I--" Piper mutes the video call with Mr. Hart. 

"Henry, please come video chat with dad!"

"No, we're doing a science project for school!" 

"But I'm trying to text Marla and dad keeps talking about his dumb hotel." Be lucky that you have a dad that cares and is alive. My dad is dead, and Hugo is not mentally here most of the time. 

"Sorry." Piper unmutes. 

"This lotion smells like summer squash. And this lotion smells like coconut." 

"Okay, now we take the egg and shake it thusly." Jasp starts to shake the egg. 

"Yeah, shake that egg!"

"Shake that egg!" 

"Shake it, baby!"

"Scramble that unborn chicken!" 

"Woo. Yeah."

"Woo. Yeah." 

"So, do you guys miss me? Piper, are listening to me?" 

"Oh, you need to go?" 

"No!"

"Man, I've never seen anyone sweat so much." 

"It runs in my family. My mom sweats in her sleep." The timer goes off. 

"Okay, time's up." Jasp stops shaking the egg. Char hands Jasp a towel. 

"Now, it says to turn on the power and then put the egg on the electrometer." Jasp puts on goggles. 

"Okay." Jasp turns on the electrometer and puts the egg on it. 

"Now what?"

"We wait. See? The egg is already starting to smell kind of--" The egg explodes on Jasp. 

"Was it supposed to do that?"

"No, it was not supposed to do that!" Mrs. Hart comes in frazzled. What happened?

"I'm all right! It's okay! I'm fine! Nobody freak out!" 

"Piper, was that your mother? What's going on?" 

"You guys, I was attacked!" 

"What?"

"Did she say attacked?" 

"What happened?"

"Are you okay?" Piper takes the computer. 

"Yeah, yeah, I wasn't hurt or anything."

"Piper, your mother sounds upset." 

"But I was walking to my car and a man jumped out from a bush and he snatched my purse." Piper takes the computer outside and leaves it there.

"No way!"

"Whoa, that's so bad!" 

"Where are you taking me? I don't see your mother! Piper!"

"Did you call the cops?" 

"Yes, I gave them a description of the guy, I filed a report. Why is Jasper so sweaty?"