15

Tess

"We're all going to die." I'm sorry, what? I know I haven't been paying attention for a little bit, but what??

"Wha?

"You're not going to die."

"You're indestructible."

"We are all going to die." Ok, I know I deeply miss my parents, but even I don't want to see them again at only 14 years old. 

"Well, it's still bad for me. Who am I going to talk to when you're all dead?" That's grim, Ray.

"Whoa, whoa. What is going on here?" 

"That." Live footage of a volcano appears on the screen. 

"What is that?"

"That is a super volcano, 50 miles below the surface of the earth, right under this town." Of course, it's below Swellview. 

"Oh. Hey, do you guys think I should get my teeth whitened?" 

"Henry!"

"Your teeth?" 

"Are you crazy? Two days from now that volcano is going to pop like a big, red-hot throbbing pimple." Gross and dangerous. 

"Ew." 

"Billions of tons of hot lava will spew from the ground and melt everything." 

"You mean melt all of Swellview?" 

"All of the whole world." 

"But I just order a new bike online." 

"When does it get here?" 

"Next week." Of course. 

"Oh, man. The whole world is going to end? You're sure of this?"

"Yes." 

"Schwoz has been watching the volcano, monitoring the vibrations, and doing all those calculations." 

"How much time do we have left?" A timer pops up. 

"Just under two days." I can't believe it, in two days, all of us expect for Ray will all be gone. 

"Oh, oh, jeez. I got to tell my mom and dad. And my cousins. And everyone." Hen runs to the elevator until Ray uses a device to pull Hen back. 

"You could've just said, 'Henry, come back.'" 

"It's better if people don't know about the volcano." Well, they're going to find out when it's on the news in under two days. 

"Why?" 

"So they can spend their last two days living their normal lives."

"Right. Enjoying the simple, important things like petting their dogs, and watching television, and going on the internet and expressing strong opinions based on little of no knowledge or information."

"I do that."

"Well, if I only have two days left on this earth, I know what I'm doing." While Char heads to the auto snacker while I start crying. Soon, I won't be here and neither will Jasper. 

"A gallon of ice cream and a spoon." 

"Oh, come on, Charlotte. You can't spend your last two days on earth just stuffing your face."

"Yes, I can." While Char is stuffing her face with ice cream. After a few hours, Hen, Char, and I go home. Once I get home, I just hug Jasper while crying. Jasper looks at me and wondering why I'm crying but, just accepts the hug.