Chapter 17: Fundamental Laws

Only after everyone at the bureau calmed down did they realize in alarm that they had narrowly avoided the gates of hell. If the Zhuyan's spell formation had succeeded, no one present would have survived. The spell formation hadn't succeeded, yet it had caused such a large explosion. Then, what kind of terrible power would it have if the spell had succeeded?

Chu Yu was in such fear that even his fish scales had made an appearance. He still couldn't quite react upon hearing Zhuang Qing speak to him. "Boss?"

"Take him to complete the procedures for the subsidy," Although Zhuang Qing felt that Fu Li's gaze was a bit offensive, he might not have been able to protect everyone in the building if Fu Li hadn't discovered the Zhuyan's movements in time. Zhuang Qing regarded himself as someone who drew a very clear line between gratitude and resentment. Within the span of a few breaths, he suppressed the tiny bit of dissatisfaction at the bottom of his heart.

"Benefactor," Chu Yu glanced at Fu Li as if he was an almighty figure of fortune. Even if he had to carry Fu Li over, he would do so with utmost willingness, much less speak of leading the way for him. "Please follow me."

"Don't be so polite, it's fine to just call me Fu Li." Fu Li shifted his gaze away from Zhuang Qing with some regret and spoke to Chu Yu, "I'll have to trouble you to lead the way then."

"It's only right that I do so, only right," Chu Yu led Fu Li out. Just as they passed by a small room, Fu Li suddenly came to a stop.

"Benefactor, what's wrong?" Seeing Fu Li come to a halt, Chu Yu glanced at the room in curiosity. This room appeared tiny, but in reality was equipped with a space system. Several yao who had broken the law were imprisoned inside. As long as they repented properly, they would be released in six months' time at the earliest, or up to ten years' time.

Fu Li looked past the door and caught sight of a field dog inside who was puffing and blowing while working at a sewing machine. "It's nothing, I just saw someone familiar."

Chu Yu's gaze followed Fu Li's line of sight. "You're referring to Seventh Uncle Sun?"

Fu Li nodded. "He told me about entering the city at that time, although he was already arrested by the time I went in."

"Fortunately, he was already captured when you entered the city. This Seventh Uncle Sun is a habitual swindler who often cons those little yao who just entered the city," Chu Yu shook his head. "Everyone says that yao cultivators from the dog clan are honest and considerate, but to me, the only honest and considerate thing this Seventh Uncle Sun has is his face. He's been in and out of here multiple times; a frequent visitor."

Fu Li could tell from the other party's practiced movements that Seventh Uncle Sun must have frequently come to this place to do physical labor as part of rehabilitation.

"This time, he did something a bit more major – he helped a little yao from the fox clan create fake identification. The fox yao became some internet celebrity and was reported for selling face masks of dubious origin. In the end, investigations by the police revealed that the fox yao's degree and residence permit were all fake. The entire matter caused a huge commotion that even lasted on the internet for two days."

"Seventh Uncle Sun helped create fake identification for this sort of illegal yao immigrant, so he won't be able to leave for three to five years."

Fu Li, "..."

So, the many connections, grand residences and cars that Seventh Uncle Sun told him he had in the human world was all a lie?

As a yao from the countryside who hadn't seen the world, Fu Li felt that modern yaoguai had more and more vanity. The yao in the past most liked to brag about how great their cultivation base was and how many little yao they had under them, but the yao today even used their houses as something to boast about. Really, they hadn't learnt the human spirit of actively pursuing advancements nor their proficiency at inventing and innovating, yet they had mastered the art of bragging.