Chapter 29: Backdoor?

Upon reaching the eating location, Fu Li realized Zhang Ke was also present. The two people had ordered many dishes for Fu Li; the entire table was covered in all sorts of dishes, from fried to steamed to stewed.

"Senior, please sit," Zhang Ke stood up and poured a drink for Fu Li. "The combat test is in the afternoon, so I didn't prepare any wine for you. This is freshly squeezed fruit juice. It's quite tasty, give it a try."

"Many thanks," Fu Li took the cup and drank a mouth. The juice was sweet, tasty, and even contained a hint of spiritual qi.

"This is a restaurant specially for the cultivation world, it only receives customers from the cultivation world," Zhang Ke knew that Fu Li didn't have a very robust understanding of the cultivation world and thus informed Fu Li of the sects within the cultivation world. "The Fields Sect manages this restaurant. Their sect is very fond of planting things. Whether its flowers, grass, or vegetables, there isn't anything they can't grow, only something that we can't think of. A while back, one of their sect's juniors ran over to Africa for vacation and planted a huge heap of cucumbers out of boredom. In the end, this matter was discovered by a reporter and made it onto the news."

"It's possible to get on the news by planting cucumbers?" Fu Li didn't quite understand. Didn't the humans of this country rely mainly on agriculture?

"The people nowadays are all idle. Planting cucumbers in Africa can be considered a novel affair." Zhang Ke didn't know what Fu Li's original form was, so out of fear of violating a taboo, he held up a bowl of beef soup. "Senior, do you eat beef?"

Fu Li nodded. "I don't really have foods I abstain from."

A spoon of the exceedingly tasty beef soup entered his stomach. There was no foul smell, only a fresh aroma. Seeing that Chu Yu wasn't drinking, Fu Li asked, "Why aren't you drinking?"

Chu Yu shook his head. "Benefactor may not have known, but I transformed after obtaining the Fate of the Dao, so I can't consume beef." The cow was of extremely lofty status in Daoism, so no Daoist cultivator would consume beef.

Fu Li was struck by sudden understanding. It turned out that he was a Daoist fish. It was no wonder his scent was so pure, and even had several strands of virtue mixed in.

After their meal, Fu Li rested for half an hour in the company of Zhang Ke and Chu Yu before returning to the bureau. Using his examination number on the bulletin board as a guide, he found the exam venue he should be going to.

Under the guise of a biotechnology company, the management bureau didn't seem to occupy much space, but in actual fact, it contained a Qiankun within. The moment the examinees entered the formation, they found scores of combat stages lined up inside. The moment they stepped into their corresponding exam room, the formation in the exam room would automatically transport them to different combat stages.

Fu Li's first opponent was a monkey spirit with a head of yellow hair. He had just made his move when the monkey collapsed on the ground. He glanced at his own palm, wondering if he would be suspected of bullying a child.

Afterwards, Fu Li defeated a peacock yao, tiger yao, bear yao, pigeon yao, chicken yao, an unknown yao belonging to the bird species, a donkey yao, and so on. The fact that every fight was won by him with ease made Fu Li doubt the overall level of this era's yao cultivators.

He thought of a proverb spoken in the human realm – in the absence of a tiger in the mountain, the monkey would be named king. In his current situation, he was possibly the monkey.

It wasn't him who was powerful, but the modern yao cultivators who were too disappointing.

During his tenth fight, Fu Li's opponent was a crested ibis. He had seen on news broadcasts that this type of bird was a national endangered animal. Hence, regardless of the fact that this crested ibis was covered from head to toe in sturdy muscle, Fu Li only defended and didn't go on the offense in fear of harming this endangered animal.