Chapter 37: Carrying the Pot

"Taste-wise, this restaurant's pastries are average. These fragrant and tender rabbit cubes are their classic dish," Zhang Ke picked up a rabbit head with the serving chopsticks and put it into his bowl. "Give it a taste."

On his left was the plump rabbit pastry given by Zhuang Qing, and on his right was the mala rabbit cube Zhang Ke had taken for him. Opposite him was his many future colleagues, their faces wreathed in smiles. All of a sudden, Fu Li thought of a classical story he had once read in a literature textbook – Hongmen Feast.

An elaborate deception concealing murderous intent – was this an initial show of strength from the seniors to the newcomers?

He thought that he had concealed it very well, but had everyone actually known that he was a rabbit spirit? Many years ago when he had not reached the age of five hundred and hadn't yet known how to transform into his human form, White Ape's stories had aroused some curiosity in him towards the world beyond the mountain. Subsequently, there was a day when he playfully ran out and encountered two very strange looking snakes. Not only did they have wings, they even had two heads. Upon discovering him, not only did those strange snakes mock him for his weak and tiny appearance, they even opened their mouths and prepared to eat him. The still-young him had been so scared that he had not only broken out into shivers but even failed to prevent himself from urinating. If King Ganglie hadn't rushed over to save him, he would probably have already been swallowed by those strange snakes.

Ever since then, he would feel disgusted upon seeing smooth, furless things. Only after the incident had passed did he find out that those strange snakes were called Feiyi. Even though White Ape said afterwards that eating the flesh of such snakes was good for health, he would feel disgusted just from thinking about their ugly appearance.

So what if he was a r-rabbit? As long as one cultivated well, even a rabbit could contribute to the world.

He pushed the bowl in front of him far away and looked pitifully at everyone from the bureau. "Rabbits are so cute, can I not eat them?"

It's fine if you guys eat. It's also fine if I sit at the corner and watch as you guys eat. But why did you have to put it into my bowl and urge me to eat? He wasn't like that mallard who could even raise a hand against a fellow member of his race.

"Rabbits do look cute, but their meat is even more delicious, and their fur even prettier," Xu Yuan said. "Senior, relax. The meat definitely doesn't contain an excessive amount of veterinary drugs. This restaurant's ingredients are carefully picked for quality, and the meat is from free-range rabbits, so it'll definitely be fresh and tender."

Thinking that Fu Li was tenderhearted, she said, "Although rabbits are cute, their main economic functions are to be eaten, skinned, and have their fur trimmed off."

Even more cold sweat appeared on Fu Li's face. His gaze became even more wronged. "You humans aren't fond of eating humans, so why are you forcing a rabbit to eat rabbit meat?"

"What?" Zhang Ke thought that there was something wrong with his hearing ability. He turned foolishly and looked in a stupid and silly manner at Fu Li. The rest weren't much better than him either. With their chopsticks still outstretched, the rabbit meat in their mouths felt like it was on fire, the heat so intense that it sent continuous pulsations through their stomachs.

Zhuang Qing threw the half-eaten plump rabbit pastry in his hand into a rubbish bin under the table and took a sip from his teacup as if nothing had happened.

"So what if I'm a rabbit?" Fu Li said with a wooden expression. "You look down on rabbits?"

"No, how can that be?" Xu Yuan threw aside her chopsticks. "Rabbits are cute and powerful, all of us like rabbits."