Chapter 49: God

"Old friend?" Fu Li turned at an angle, speaking to Zhuang Qing in a low voice, "Seems like the creditor recognized you."

Zhuang Qing picked up the spoon made of bone from the bowl of soup and ladled out a bowl of hot soup for himself. The soup neared his mouth, the hazy, hot mist blocking his vision. He lowered his head and took a sip. The taste was exactly like it had been that year; there was not the slightest difference.

Seeing that Fu Li was staring at him with wide eyes, he placed the bowl down. "This soup was cooked with a lot of skill, are you not going to give it a taste?"

"I am," Fu Li gulped down half the bowl in one mouth. He nodded. "Delicious."

After the two people finished their meal, Zhuang Qing paid the bill and left. He didn't suggest meeting with the boss, nor did the boss make an appearance. By the time his feet met the stone steps, the mountain was already shrouded in mist, adding a layer of celestial yet yao-like mystery to the Ghost Market.

A tiny ghost scampered through the crowds with a charred red lantern in hand. A hint of innocence could be seen on his bloodless face. If not for the fact that some yao at this place still maintained some of their original features, an ordinary human who entered by accident might merely think that it was a mystical utopia and not a Ghost Market.

"Handsome, we have here jam made from natural, wild fruits deep in the mountains. No human chemicals and it's far from pollution sources. Whether it's for consumption or gifting friends, it's the best of the best," A female yao stuffed a leaflet into Fu Li's hands and flashed a seductive smile at him. "Make sure to visit."

But the moment she got a clear view of the man beside Fu Li, the smile on her face instantly disappeared. Lowering her head, she ran off in a flurry.

Fu Li shoved the leaflet into Zhuang Qing's hands. "Help me see if the fruit jam really is fresh, I'm going to buy a bag of nuts." Then, he hurriedly went back the way they came.

Zhuang Qing stared at the leaflet in his hands that had undergone zero typesetting. He furrowed his brows tightly. They had just finished a meal, and he still wanted to eat nuts. With such a small original form, where did all the food go?

The waiter put away all the plates and bowls in the rear kitchen. Seeing the whale yao's aged complexion, he said worriedly, "Boss, the Ghost Market's already been open for a long time. There won't be many more customers, why don't we close shop?"

"I've opened this store for 1500 years. It remains open till dawn every year," The whale yao looked out at the empty lobby and sat on a wooden stool. "Who knows how many more years this store can remain open?"

He was old. Since he was unable to break through the Nascent Soul and Spirit Severing Stage, his lifespan was limited. To him, it was his fortune to have gained intelligence and yao status. It was just a pity that he lacked the talent to go beyond the Nascent Soul stage. In the current era, humans flourished and certain people would even kill whales without restraint. If he died, who would protect those ignorant whales?

The waiter felt a bit upset. Thinking of the customer with the exceptional identity, he asked, "Boss, that customer seemed to be extremely influential in the yao world. If you are friendly with him, why not request him to help you search for a Spirit Transformation Pill..."

"Silly child, the Spirit Transformation Pill is worth cities, how can it be so easily obtainable?" The whale yao stood up to clean the kitchen stove. "He merely owes me one meal. This bag he gave as remuneration is already enough for 1500 years' worth of meals."

That year, it was his first time opening a store at the Ghost Market. After encountering the dragon that had barged into the Ghost Market, a momentary softening of his heart resulted in him not pursuing the matter of the unpaid meal. Perhaps this was fate.