Chapter 30: Strange Bird

Chao Yun hadn't expected the boss to speak up for an examinee. She looked at Zhuang Qing in astonishment, only to find a solemn expression on his face. She was struck by sudden understanding. It seemed the Boss regarded this Fu Li's abilities highly.

After the third round of exams ended, only five out of the fifty people remained. At this moment, the moon was already shining brightly, accompanied by a gentle night breeze.

Apart from Fu Li, the remaining four people comprised of the fifth disciple Wei Cang of the Qing Xiao Sect, the second disciple Zhong Ze of the founder of the Fields Sect, Daoist priest Qing Xu of the Lin An Monastery, and a yellow pond turtle yao.

The Lin An Monastery had some connection to Chu Yu, as the monastery had been built on the former site of the Chang An monastery. Thus, Chu Yu could be considered an honorary elder of the Lin An Monastery. In addition, Wei Cang of the Qing Xia sect was Zhang Ke's senior brother from the same sect. It was said that he had entered the sect based on his identity as a yao cultivator. The yellow pond turtle was also on friendly relations with Lin Gui and was an expert at divination.

If they were to really discuss background, Fu Li was probably the one with least background among them.

Those who could make it to this round were all well-known figures among the younger generation in the cultivation world. Seeing their faces filled with youthful energy, Fu Li's old face couldn't help reddening. Was this considered bullying children?

"All five of you performed very well, thank you for..." Chao Yun hadn't finished her statement when a rumbling sound echoed from the horizons all of a sudden. It resembled thunder, yet also sounded like the roar of some creature. A sense of foreboding rose in her heart and she hurriedly turned to look at Zhuang Qing.

Zhuang Qing looked up. With a wave of his sleeves, the ceiling turned transparent, revealing the roiling black clouds in the sky to everyone at the competition venue. The entire sky seemed like it was about to collapse. Fortunately, it was already very late at night and many people had already gone to bed. Even if they heard the sound, the most they would do was assume that it was thunder.

The strangely monstrous appearance of a gigantic bird flashed within the clouds. Due to her exposure to a regent's qi as well as her profound cultivation, Chao Yun could faintly make out this large bird's strange appearance.

A snake's tail, more than one pair of wings, and... three feet?

Could it be the Golden Crow?

Ever since she joined the management bureau, there had constantly been many yaoguai and human cultivators wreaking havoc, but their looks, cultivation, and skills were all commonplace. She had never once encountered this sort of ancient-looking yao cultivator.

Recalling the ancient fiend Zhuyan that her colleague had captured a few days ago, the unease in Chao Yun's heart intensified even further. These ancient yaoguai hadn't appeared in the human world for many years, yet they had appeared time after time this year. Was this a coincidence or an omen?

"This bird seems to have three feet. Could it be the legendary... three-legged Golden Crow?" Chu Yu swallowed a mouth of saliva, his throat feeling a little dry.

"It's not the Golden Crow," Fu Li looked up and meticulously scanned the strange creature in the sky. "The Golden Crow is as bright as the day. It would light up the entire earth as if it were daytime."

"Boss, it's a call from the national security department," Lin Gui handed a phone to Zhuang Qing.

It would be strange if the national security department didn't find out about such a large bird in the sky. Zhuang Qing took the phone, spoke a few words, and then hung up. Turning, he glanced at his colleagues. "Set up a barrier."