Moving forward- chapter 1 ४

Avengers compound 2023

It's now been 5 years since the blip, things aren't really going that well for the remaining avengers. You moved in with Steve right after the blip, you've tried your best to move on, but it only seems to get harder with every breath you take. There's this ache in your chest that just doesn't seem to go away. Maybe it's because your brother moved to the country side and started a family without giving you any notice about it. Or maybe it's just because you lost some of your best friends along the way. Steve helps with the nightmares, but no one can ever really get that ache to go away. He truly tries his best to make you feel better, he has encouraged you to join his meetings, but they seem pointless to attend, all this talking about moving on makes you utterly frustrated . You know that if you give up, no one will ever get them back. Nat is the only sane person in this hell you're living in. You make sure to visit her at the compound at least twice a week, often you can get Steve to come, but every time you get back home his mood chances. Steve is the rock in your life at this point, he's so good towards you, and although Tony wasn't too happy when you started dating, he quickly realized that he made you happy, and what else could a brother want for his little sister. The timing wasn't great when you and Steve fell In love. Peggy had just passed away and the Sokovia Accords filled the air with tension between Tony and Steve. So when you joined Steve's team, Tony didn't talk to you for months. Now you haven't seen him in 2 years. Pepper Makes sure you're okay every once in a while, but the thought that you have a niece somewhere that you haven't even met kills you inside. After your parents death you and Tony only had each other, but living in his shadow had always made you frustrated, they of course couldn't have a woman run stark industries, not that you wanted any part in creating weapons of mass destruction. that's why you ran away, seeking something to give your life meaning, you didn't intend to become a lab rat for hydras many experiments. But although it was two years filled with pain and suffering, you finally felt like you had more power than him, and that made you feel something at least. And now years later you don't even know what's going on in his life, and still suffer the consequences of an infinity stones running through your veins. But hey you have Steve.

It all seemed pointless, and every fiber in you body wanted to just give up and hopefully start a family for yourself, Steve had talked a lot about it recently. Something was holding you back, like no matter how hard you tried to move on you couldn't. Your thoughts were racing, and your heart was beating in your chest. Then you felt Natashas hand on your shoulder and all of it just seemed to disappear.

"Y/n?.. are you alright hun? The meetings over.. there's no news unfortunately" Natashas calming voice brought you back to reality.

"Yeah, I'm fine.. I was just thinking.." you said hesitantly. You didn't even believe it yourself, how should she believe it then.

"You should call him y/n, I'm sure he misses you too" Natasha said as she sat down next to you giving you a long warm hug, one you had needed for hours. Her warm embrace was the closets you felt to home at the time.

"He doesn't want to see me Nat. He started a family and maybe I should too." You paused for a second, you knew damn well you didn't really want one right now, but you kept going anyway. "Steve totally has Baby fever, and maybe it would get my mind of things" you could barely look in the eyes knowing the judgment in her eyes would make you stay quiet.

Natasha let out a long sigh before answering you. "But is what you want?" You chuckled, how was it she always knew just what was on your mind. You had never been able to hide anything from her.

"I just want things to get back to normal, I really want Them back I can't keep..." before you could finish your sentence, you were interrupted by the camera from the front gate of the compound.

"Guys? Is anyone there?.. it's me Scott, you know Ant Man!" The image was blurry but on the screen stood none other than Scott Lang, he was waving his arms back and fourth while blabbering about the quantum realm.

"Is that an old message?" You asked with a little pinch of hope in your voice that this was in fact Scott.

"No y/n.. it's the front gate, he's alive.." Natasha voice had never seemed so cheerful, it didn't even matter if he could help but the fact that one more avenger was alive, it seemed like a dream.

Nat opened the gate, and shortly after Scott steps in the room, he's eyes scanning the room for food, and spotting a half eaten, peanut butter jelly sandwich. He eats it in three mouthfuls. You and Nat look at each other with confusion in your eyes. Before one of you dare to speak breaking the silence.

"Where the fuck have you been Scott?.. are you okay?" You ask with your eyes wide open like you had just seen a ghost, well you might as well have cause you thought he was dead.

"Yeah I'm good" Scott Is pacing back and forth in the room. "Have either of you guys ever studied quantum physics?" There's an awkward pause, as you and Nat give each other a worried look.

Nat breaks the silence once again"Only to make conversation" she can barely finish her sentence before Scott begins explaining further.

"Okay so five years ago, before you know.. Thanos. I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like it's own microscopic universe. To get in there you have to be incredibly small. Hope.. she's my... she was my..." Scott's voice becomes squeaky and his eyes began to water, before you could comfort him he continues his rant.
"We'll she was supposed to pull me out of the quantum realm. And then Thanos happened and I got stuck in there."

Before he can say anything you interrupt him. "Wait hold on, you were stuck in there for five years??"

"That's just it, for me it was five hours, the rules of time is different in the quantum realm."Scott's eyes light up as he answers, you could sense he had a point but you just couldn't understand what he was on about.

"Scott, you're not making any sense what are you talking about" you ask, there's a part of you that's scared he might have lost it, but right now he's your only hope at making things right.

"The time works differently in the quantum realm, the only problem is we don't have a way to navigate it, but what if we did? What if we could enter the quantum realm at one point in time and exit at another point in time.... Like maybe before Thanos?"
He looks at you and Nat with hope in his eyes, that maybe just maybe he cracked the code.

"Let me get this straight, time travel? Like back to the future kind of time travel?" You're afraid to ask but as insane as it sounds, you also have magic running through your veins at this very moment, and was beaten by a purple Titan. So at this point nothing sounds to insane that it can't hold a little piece of truth.

"No not at all like back to the future, more like a... more like a..." Scott is trying to find the right words but Nat finishes it for him. "Like a time machine?"

Scott shakes his head "No. No of course not. No not a time machine...it's more like a.. yeah like a time machine... I know it's crazy" You can sense the disappointment in his eyes, so you go over to him and place your hand on his shoulder.

"Scott your talking to a witch, dating a 105 year old super soldier, and a Russian assassin getting emails from a raccoon from space. I think we went beyond crazy a long time ago when we fought of Loki's army of space things" you say with a smile on your face, you can see Nat starting to cheer up.

"So who do we talk to about this?" Scott answers. Nat gives you a look that you know damn well what means.. Your brother Tony..