Stars and stripes - chapter 3 ४

Stark's cabin

"What do you mean you figured out time travel?" You sit up quickly, feeling more awake than ever, Tony's got a big smile upon his face like all the puzzles was put back together.

"I mean I found out how we can do it, safely" the excitement in his voice filled up the entire living room.

"We have to go! Now" you jump off the couch in pure joy. Already trying to gather your things.

"Y/n, we should wait till the morning, we both need a good night sleep, I'm your big brother I make the call" his tired voice suddenly hits you like a brick wall.

"Yeah you're right, but not because you're older than me, just because you're old and you need sleep" you let yourself fall down onto the couch and Tony sits beside you until you fall asleep. Just as soon as your head hits the pillow you fall into the best sleep you've gotten in a long time. The felling of Tony's hand cuddling your hair makes you feel right at home.

Even in your dream you can hear Tony and pepper discussing whether or not he should do it.
"I don't have to do it you know, I could just stay here, y/n could get the extra room" his voice is shaky and low, undecided on whether or not he wants her to stop him or ask him to do it.

"But will you able to rest? And either way you wouldn't convince y/n to stay, she has a family too, one you used to be a part of as well.." Behind her soft and calming voice is despair..

"I have to do it Don't I?" The sorrow in his voice echoes throughout the room, pepper doesn't answer him, she gently nods her head yes, as she takes his hand and follow him up to the bedroom.

You wake up the next morning feeling fully rested, you've totally forgotten about what happened the night prior. The smell of pancakes and bacon fills the room, it's like you can almost taste them. Neither you and Steve are that great at cooking, he's definitely better than you, but your living room never smelled as incredible as this. You get up from the couch and see Tony, Pepper and Morgan already eating breakfast.

"Good morning honey, we didn't want to wake you, you looked like you needed the rest" she hands you a plate of pancakes, bacon, egg and fresh berries. As you sit down beside Morgan.

"Thank you so much, It was so nice staying here" you smile broadly as you begin to eat your breakfast.

"Eat up y/n, we should really get going" Tony says as he eats the last strawberry. You eat your food like it's the last meal you're ever gonna eat. Then you say your goodbyes to Morgan and Pepper. Morgan hands you a pearl bracelet she made for you this morning, you give her a big hug and then you gather your things.

You and Tony gets into his car and drives off, it's an hour long drive so you use the time to catch up and make carpool karaoke with the greatest hits from AC/DC, it's always been Tony's favorite band, he used to listen to it all the time in his lab, sometimes he would let you come down with him, and be his little assistant. The smile on your face is almost glued stuck, this is exactly what you needed. Even though your relationship hasn't been the easiest, the two of you would always have so much fun together. He was truly your person, and you where his, nothing in this world could ever change that. You've had your doubts but in moments like this you knew for sure that he was always gonna be your person.

An hour later you arrive at the compound, Steve is sitting outside waiting for you. He was the first person you called this morning saying you'd be coming, although you didn't exactly say with who.
As Tony's car races up to the front door, he already knew, you where a pretty shitty driver, so there's no way you would ever drive that fast without crashing something. Tony would surely never borrow you one of his cars, if he wanted it back in one piece.

Tony stops the car and rolls down the window.
He gives Steve on glance before laughing.
"Let me guess he turned into a baby?"
You hit him on the shoulder but he just laughs it off.

"Among other things, what are you doing here"
Steve has a serious face, you can tell he's still skeptical that Tony is here to help, he barely looks at you.

"Well you probably ended up putting time through Lang, instead of Lang through time, thank god I'm here to help you" Tony dramatically removes his sunglasses and looks at you with joy in his eyes, if there's one thing Tony loves, it's being right.

"Alright enough sarcasm Tony, we're here to help Steve, he figured it out" you get out of the car and gives Steve a kiss, he embraces you and holds onto you.

"Okay enough affection, I don't need to see that.. really let her go please." Tony goes around to the back of the car and opens the tailgate. You chuckle lightly and gives Steve one more kiss before letting go of him.

"I've got to say this though, I have my priorities, bring back what we lost yea, but I have to keep what I've got here at all costs. And it would be nice not die trying" Tony moves closer towards Steve and hesitases as he looks towards you. You give him a reassuring smile.

"Sounds like a good deal" Steve smiles and puts out a hand waiting for Tony to shake it. You can't help but smile as Tony grabs Steve's hand and shakes it. The two of them haven't been on great terms after the accords, but this was a start.

Tony goes back to the car and reaches in, he takes out the shield and hands it too Steve.
Steve let out a harsh sigh, and gives you a concerning look, you nod at him to take it.

"I really don't know Tony" he still hesitates as he moves closer towards Tony.

"He made it for you, and you're gonna need it, wouldn't be the soldier in Stars and Stripes without it" he smiles as he hands it to Steve. This time Steve takes it on and mouths a thank you too Tony.
You can feel yourself feeling at peace. Finally they get along about something. Tony and Steve had a messy relationship, but deep down they cared for each other more than they'd like to say.

Not long after everyone starts to arrive, they've really gotten in contact with as many as possible. Scott sits outside eating tacos with Bruce, who's now finally figured out how to combine himself and the hulk into one. Soon a spaceship lands right in the field, and out comes Rocket and nebula. Rhodey lands right beside Scott, and takes one of his tacos on the way in.

Although one is missing.. Thor.