A night to remember - chapter 53 ४

The clock has just passed 3 am, you were once again sitting outside. Just wanting to gather your thoughts. It has been a long night, with far to much information about your sex life. The view from the avengers compound was absolutely stunning. It was surrounded by a beautiful forest, and a giant lake. You take of your high heels slowly crawling down the fire escape. Making your way out to the little bridge at the lake. You dip you feet into the water, watching as it crates small circles each time you move your feet. You would sit here with Steve all the time. As you look at the stars you hope that maybe he's somewhere up there looking down at you. Making sure you're okay.

"Y/n, is that you" Wanda asks. Sitting down beside you.

"Yeah I was a little overwhelmed" you admit. "How did you find me?"

"I can read mind to you know" she smiles kindly. Resting against you.

"Do you think pietro is looking down at you?" You ask.

"Of course he is, sometimes I can feel him." She says. "Steve is definitely watching over you"

"I hope so.." you look up at the stars, one of them shines brighter than any other.

"I have a surprise for you" she squeals excitedly.

"Actually I think I've had enough for tonight sorry"

"I think he's gonna be sad about that" she says as she gets up. "But I'll just tell him to go back"

"You didn't?!" You quickly get up following behind her "Wanda tell me you didn't" you say with a big smile on your face, eagerly hoping she did.

"I did" she smiles widely. "Now go in and say hi" she pushes you gently on your back.

You rush back inside, running like your life depended on it. As soon as you're back inside, you quickly scan the room. And there he is. Sitting at the bar drinking yet another cold beer. You run up behind him hugging him from behind. He lifts you up from the ground.

"This is definitely a stark party I see" he says refereeing to the live music playing. As everyone is either passed out, our dancing.

"I can't believe you're actually here" you smile. Sitting down next to him, grabbing yourself a beer.

"Me neither, guess I couldn't leave my best girl" He removes a strand of hair from your face. "So here I am"

"I'm glad you are, I've missed you. I found out about Steve today" you admit. "Is that why you were so mad at me?" You ask.

"Yes and no, I still meant everything I said that night. But yes I was a little torn apart after the funeral"

"Well I still appreciate you coming here after that"

"I just can't believe you're getting married in a month" he says sadly, looking down at his hand fidgeting with the label on the beer. "You look amazing, you're glowing. How are you?"

"I'm still struggling a lot, it's hard when no one truly gets it. Loki is really trying, but no amount of words can explain what happened in there" you explain. "But he makes it's easier, he accepts me." You smile.

"Lucky bastard" he clenches his lips. "Steve would be proud of you.. I'm proud of you"

"Yeah i wish he could be there"

"He's gonna be there, he's always gonna be here y/n" you can't help but feel grateful as he speaks. He always knows exactly what you need to hear. You hug him tightly.

"Are you staying in the US until the wedding?"

"Yeah I'm gonna stay with Sam"

As you slowly back out of the hug, your noses touch.
"Thank you for being here" you whisper. You look at each other for a second but it feels like forever. He leans in, but quickly stops himself, before hugging you again.

"You know I really missed you" He kisses you gently on the cheek before pulling completely away. Looking down onto the table.

"Buck, don't make it harder than it already is"

"Right I'm sorry" he says looking up at you.

You could hear his thoughts loud and clear. How he wanted to kiss you. How much he loves you, and just wants you to love him back.

"I love you Buck" you say sadly.

"But not like you love him, got it" he smirks. "A guy has to try" You grab onto his hand holding it tightly. "It's gonna hurt like hell watching you walk down that isle"

"I know, I'm sorry"

"Don't be, as long as you're happy. Then I've got everything I need"

You let go of his hand, getting up from your seat. "I should probably go"

"Right"

"I'll see you around right? And I'll definitely see you at the wedding"

He kisses you on the cheek again. "Sleep tight y/n"

Then you walk off.

Bucky says at the bar looking after you as you walk away. There's an empty feeling as you leave him behind. But you also where your heart is now, where it belongs. And no matter what happens, he'll keep it safe.

Making your way slowly back to your room you spot Thor sitting alone outside the compound looking up at the stars, like you had an hour prior. Instead of heading straight to your room you decide to go out talking to him. You quietly sit down beside him. He doesn't notice you until take a deep breath.

"My lady, I thought you would be with my brother by now" he says sadly.

"Can't I spend time with a friend, I never see you around here anymore. I miss you"

He smiles kindly. Your body is shivering, it's beginning to get cold out. He gently wraps his jacket around you, squeezing you. "I never got a change to properly congratulate you." You let your head rest against his chest. "So congratulations y/n"

"Thank you Thor, I'm glad you're here" you say as you snuggle closer to him.

"I also wanted to thank you" he states.

"Thank me.." you chuckle. "What for?"

"For seeing the good in Loki, after all the damage he's done." He explains. "Y/n when I first learned Loki was alive, I was terrified. I knew it wasn't the Loki I had learned to love and trust." He adds. "That was until I learned that he was even better, he finally had love in his heart"

You turn to look at him. "Yeah, he wasn't the guy I thought I'd marry, but wouldn't want it to be any other way" you grin. There's a moment where you just look at each other. "Part of me always thought it would be Steve" you admit.

"I heard about what happened, I wasn't there. But I heard it was beautiful. I'm truly sorry, I know you loved him"

"I'll probably always love Steve, but I don't regret choosing Loki" you didn't just need to explain that to him, but also to yourself. You still feel so guilty. If you hadn't broken his heart perhaps he'd still be here. Holding your hand.

"Hey don't cry" he says wiping away your tear. You hadn't realized you were crying. "You're getting married"

"You're right. Everything is exactly how it's supposed to be" you say trying to conceive yourself. "I know Loki wants to ask, but that would be to in touch with his emotions. Would you be his best man?"

"There's nothing I would love more" he hugs you. "I've always felt you and I were connected somehow. And now it all makes sense why"

"Now I get to be your annoying sister in law" you chuckle. "Now I'm gonna go get some sleep, you should too"