Now or never - chapter 17 ४

You kept a steady pace looking for Sylvie. Loki was always a few steps behind you. The silence was weirdly enough not awkward. Although you regretted ever speaking up... Why couldn't you just keep your mouth shut for once...

Sylvie was resting by a mountain side. Her head was resting between her knees. You sat down beside her, letting your head fall to her shoulder. She looked up at you with a subtle glow in her eyes.

Loki walked slowly towards you. "I'm really sorry I messed up.. you don't have another plan up your sleeve do you?" He asked, his voice was full of regret.

Sylvie got up from the ground, as she reached a hand Down towards you. "I do actually." She huffed. As you took her hand and got up from the ground "There's an ark leaving from the city, normally it gets destroyed by a meteor, but I think it's our only shot" she explains as she begins walking.

"Well it's never Had us on it!" You exclaim. You look at Loki who quickly catches up to Sylvie. You decide to stay behind, your head feels like it's exploding, with all that had happened the past 2 days you didn't know what to feel.

"So did you kiss her" Sylvie asks, trying to keep her voice down, so you don't hear her.

"I beg your pardon?" Loki scoffs.

"Well after what happened on the train I just assumed. Never mind"

Loki grabs onto Sylvie's arm and pull her closer.
"No what! You just assumed what?!"

"I just assumed you liked her back" she guesses.
As she pushes his hands away from her arms.

"Like her back, you mean?" He hesitantly whimpers, Sylvie let's out a desperate sigh. "It could never work you know" he exclaims. "She said so herself, she needs a hero, and I'm just the guy making chaos." His voice gets quiet, he begins biting the inside of his cheek, till the taste of blood lingers on his tongue.

"You're more oblivious than I thought, there is no good in bad in life, we're all just variants here. Even the TVA" she mutters. Loki stops her. Quickly you're caught up with them.

"What's going on why are we stopping?" You ask.

"Sylvie say that one more time, the last part at least" Loki says demandingly. You give him a confused glance but you choose to listen.

"The TVA are variants?" She says questioningly. "You really didn't know that?" She asks.

You and Loki both shake your head no.. you couldn't believe it... did Mobius know this.

"Well now you know why we need to burn the place down" she points out. Then she continues her steady pace. Loki can't seem to take his eyes of you... did he drink again..

Soon you can see the city beginning to form in the horizon, the three of you speeds up the pace, until you're finally standing right in the middle of it. It looks exactly like what you had seen in sci-fi movies with Peter. He would freak out if he saw this. The ark is placed right in the middle, but there's no time to spare. You begin running towards it, pushing aside any obstacles in your way.

And then here you were, looking up towards the sky high ark. Beaming lights surrounded you, as it was just about to leave the ground. If you wanted to get off the dying star... it was now or never. There was no way you were gonna die here, not without saying goodbye to Tony. Guards were surrounding the entrance. But you weren't going down without a fight.

You grabbed onto Loki's hand squeezing it tightly.
"Alright guys, this is our chance. Let's get home... together" you say confidently as you once again focus all you energy on your mind. You shut open your eyes again, and with every fiber in your bones you hold down the ark. "Go clear the way, I'll make sure it isn't going anywhere until we're on it!" You cry out. You had never been so focused on anything before. But when you closed your eyes you remembered why it was worth the pain. If the plan worked you would get to see your family again.

While you held down the ark, Loki and Sylvie took out the guards one by one. And for a quick moment you thought it might work. Out of nowhere a meteor struck down the ark. You fell to the ground passing out from holding the ark down for so long. Loki saw you lying on the ground unconscious, and pulled you up from the ground, right above you the ark was falling apart in pieces, Loki used his abilities to stop the piece from crashing you. As he carried you to safety. Suddenly you gained conscious, Loki was still holding you in his arms. He slowly put you down as you opened your eyes.

"I can't Believe it didn't it work" you breathed out, as you look at the city surrounding you, everything was left in ruins. Your last chance to get home was broken down into atoms, and you were standing in the aftermath of the destruction. "I'm so sorry Sylvie" you say. She looks at you with tears in her eyes.

Loki looks defeated, he turns towards you and remember his promise, he swore to you he would get you home.. "there must be something we can do, don't you have another plan?" He asks worriedly.

Sylvie looks at him, "it doesn't matter now, we're doomed" her voice is lifeless...she turns around and walks away. You and Loki stand completely frozen looking at the broken hope laid out in front of you. He reaches out for your hand, as he looks directly into your eyes. "Well at least we have each other right?" He says calmly. You notice a tear rolling down his cheek. You give him a small subtle smile. As you tighten the grip.

Then you quietly walk out of the city. You're searching everywhere but Sylvie is nowhere to be found. Just outside the city is the most beautiful lake you've ever seen, the water is crystal clear, you can see the reflection of the burning sky mirroring down upon it. Meteors are falling down at a rapid pace. Bigger pieces are beginning to fall apart, as they come crashing down into the lake breaking up the reflection on the lake. You sit down on a piece of meteor, from here you can see everything, yet nothing at all. Loki hesitantly sits down beside you. This was it, your final night alive. Out of all the people you had imagined you'd spent your last night with, Loki had definitely never been in you priority list. But then here you were. You and him...