C H A P T E R 05

05| Two Brothers

Mason's heavy footsteps echoed in the quiet house as he ran down the stairs with a duffle bag

Did it wake her up? No.

Will an earthquake wake her up? No.

"Hey Alli." He shook her.

"Hey Masey." She mumbled, smiled, turned away, hugged the throw pillow. But she didn't wake up.

"WE'RE LEAVING, MISS TANNER. BYE!" I screamed into her ears.

"The world is ending! Help! Someone please help!" She jolted up, yelling frantically with her hands waving up in the air.

"Alli." Mason tumbled down the armchair, clutching his stomach.

"Oh!" She scratched her head, switching her eyes between us. "Oh! I just woke up."

"Wow! How did you come to that baffling conclusion?" I rolled my eyes.

"Don't ever wake me up like that." She scolded. "I might have accidentally killed you. And in your case, it wouldn't be so accidentally."

Ignoring the frivolous argument, I strode out towards the car.

"Are you sure you'll be okay? I can talk to Vittoria. She'll understand." Mason said warily.

So he's ready to compromise with Vittoria for her? I see.

"Of course, sweetheart. She needs you more than me. Besides, I can take care of myself. Now get lost." She smiled, opening her arms wide which immediately snaked around Mason, clasping their bodies together.

"Call me if you need anything. And please be careful." He kissed her head.

"You're gonna see her tomorrow. Hop in quick." I said irritably.

"Bye bye Masey! Goodbye to you too, Mr Rivera." She waved as Mason got in.

Before getting in, I turned back and grazed a look at the woman standing at the porch. I couldn't help but notice her body language.

Her smile wavered as if she was struggling to keep it intact. Her eyes momentarily scanned the area submerged in darkness and a chilling fog. Her feet carried her backwards instinctively and her arms wrapped around her skinny frame.

Allegra Tanner was afraid.

•••••

"Not even the garden outside the mansion?" Mason asked me, worried.

"Today was the first time she moved down those stairs."

I noticed Vittoria has been inside the house ever since she returned from that hell. It's very unlikely for her to not come to work for so many days. She's anyway working, so the work stress isn't the reason. As for her scars, they've healed. She didn't even leave the house on her birthday.