C H A P T E R 30

30 | Falling Like Midnight Rain

Her long red curls flowed over me as she rested her head over my chest, her hands wrapped around my torso while mine placed down on the soft bedsheet

I felt like I was sinning by allowing some other girl to even so much as touch me. That some other girl is my fiancée.

What a fucked up situation I was in.

"You should sleep now, Camila." I said with a slight hesitancy in my voice.

I had to admit the damage they'd done to her was bad. I wonder how she's going to come out of that trauma. Did I do the wrong thing? Did I hurt her more? But we could've been able to hide the truth forever. I know what happens when you push the truth only to amplify the destruction when it all comes out in the open.

"Please stay with me, Rafael. I'm scared to sleep alone." She gripped my arm, her tears falling over the ring on my finger which felt a foreign object to me.

I couldn't find the courage to deny that to her. She visibly relaxed at the small gesture making me feel a little less guilty. But this– I can't. I can't spend an entire night with her even though I won't be touching her like that. Vittoria would be so hurt if she got to know about it.

"Camila-"

"Please." She cried and my heart melted.

I nodded brusquely, pushing the door of her room open. No matter what, my bed won't have any other woman sleeping on it.

A despondency swerved through her emerald eyes as she understood the subtle meaning of my action but didn't protest.

I stayed there until she felt asleep. Sleep wouldn't come to me. My mind kept thinking about Vittoria and my heart kept burning with that pain she was feeling.

Getting up ever so slowly, I headed downstairs making sure I don't wake her up. A few guards snapped their eyes up at me, quickly training them back down.

The piercing cold prickled my skin as I settled down across a lounge chair, the expensive Bourbon entrapped inside the glass bottle reminding me of a certain pair of eyes.

"It's too cold out here, Mr Grayson." A voice called me from behind, her flip flops padding against the cold tiles of the pool area.

"What keeps you up at this hour, Miss Tanner?" My gaze followed her as she took a seat on the lounge chair next to mine.

"This is an uncomfortable bitch." She simply gestured at her broken hand. "So?" She dragged out, a playful glint appearing in her sapphire eyes. "How was your little kidnap trip? I need the details!"

An abrupt chuckle fell from my lips. "What am I, your high school girlfriend?"

"If you're dying to be one, I won't devoid you of the privilege."