C H A P T E R 28

28 | Samples And Gems

"Last warning, muffin

"Last warning, muffin. If you don't open this door, I'm going to break it." Oliver yelled from outside, hell bent on not leaving me alone.

"What is it? I'm good by myself." I yelled, half opening the door with a jerk.

But grandpa being grandpa pushed it open, lifted me up and began heading downstairs.

"No! Please! I don't want to be there. Please Oliver." I pleaded.

"We're going out." He stated with a small shrug.

"What? Why? What happened to you? You were sane when I last saw you." I kicked my legs in the air but to no use. I noticed the living room was empty now. "Where are we going?" I asked irritably.

"Nordstrom has a nice Christmas sale going on. I need some clothes." He said as a matter of fact.

"You gotta be kidding me, grandpa!" I screamed in frustration.

Opening his car door, he tossed me inside quite effortlessly. He slid into the driver's seat and revved the engine. That's when Mason appeared out of the blue and jumped in the backseat, uninvited.

"What are you doing now?" I cringed, rubbing my tired eyes.

"Closing the door. See?" He made a joker face and shut the door.

"And you have the audacity to talk ill about my jokes."

"That wasn't a joke. It was a fact." He retorted, pulling my hair from the backseat while Oliver laughed as the two of us.

"Your jokes aren't really jokes, muffin!" Oliver passed me a playful glare. "They are statements designed to devoid humans from their wish to stay alive."

They are what?

"You two don't have to do this to lighten my mood." I mumbled looking down at my lap.

"I really need new clothes." Oliver asserted the lie like I'm a fool. But that was cute so I'll let it slide.

"Hold on!" Mason screeched. "Where are we going?" He asked, feigning dread.

"Shopping!" Oliver and I did a fist bump.

"Stop the car! Someone help!" He yelled with an intention to rip our ear drums apart.

"Too late, brother." Grandpa smirked.

•••••

"Put that dress down, Miss Andress." They both heaved me those familiar disapproved looks.

"It's not that short!" I grumbled in protest.

It was such a pretty violet dress with a sweetheart neckline and a cute little side cut.