C H A P T E R 78

78 | Eternal Love

Time stopped.

My heart stopped.

The world stopped.

"Vittoria! No!" Liam yelled from behind me, almost crashing with the door.

There was Camila with her gun raised up, two corpses gathered near her feet, and Vittoria— shot right in her chest.

Her body slowly began to fall. Everything inside me broke. I ran to her with all I had, catching her before she hit the floor. Her face was pale and body bruised. And yet she managed to take my breath away like she did every time.

"N-no no no, Vittoria." I cried, my sight beginning to become unclear as I held her still body in my trembling arms.

"Rafael! Please tell me she's alive." Camila sobbed uncontrollably. "He shot her! He was a traitor." She fell to her knees, pointing at one of the two corpses. One was the enemy but the other was a familiar face.

It was Travis.

"Fuck!" Liam cursed, examining him. He was dead.

I should've been surprised by all I could focus on was the unmoving girl lying in my arms.

"Vittoria." I held her close to my chest, not ready to let her go just yet. We can't end this way. I refuse to believe she was gone.

Don't know if if was denial or a fact, but I felt the beat of her heart as I clamped her to that to my own. It was low and receding. But it was there.

She was still alive.

Hope came rushing back in full force. Destiny had given us one last chance and I would give away anything to grab that.

"Vittoria! Stay with me, love." I tapped her cheek. She looked so gorgeous, so pure that it made me want to die.

"Liam! Call an ambulance." I screamed frantically.

"I should've been quick. I should've killed Travis before he shot her. I'm so sorry, Rafael." Camila weeped, making me question the sudden change in her behavior.

"No matter what, she's my sister." She whispered.

That was very difficult for me to believe but right now Vittoria was my priority. Picking up her frail body in my arms, I rushed out, hoping she gets through this.

"I'm right her, love. Please stay strong. Do it for me. Please. I beg for you."

That day, I prayed to god for the time in my life.

•••••••

Hope was a funny thing.

The reassuring aura of the hospital turned somber and dithering as the doctor's words began to sank in my head.