C H A P T E R 80

80 | I Come Back Stronger Than A 90's Trend

Ew, needles!

And tubes!

And the smell of medicine!

Yuck!

The immense amount of light prickled my eyes. I thought my head hurt. But it didn't. Nothing hurt. I felt numb with the amount of painkillers in my body.

"Hey, sweetie. I'm Martha." A middle aged nurse smiled at me. "How are you feeling?"

"Ugh! Like I could use some ice cream." I mumbled lowly, not strong enough to speak normally just yet.

"I could sneak in some." She laughed. "But god help me if Dr Holtz caught me."

I looked around, my eyes searching for a certain someone although I knew he wouldn't be in here.

"I know who you're looking for." Martha said teasingly. "I'll call him in."

She left the room and two seconds which felt like years passed in the most painful manner as I impatiently awaited him.

The door opened, and there he was in a white shirt looking like an angel but with swollen eyes. I swear I could die any moment now.

Our gazed stayed intact as he closed the door softly, leaning against it like there was no strength left in him. His face was devoid of any expressions. He stayed right there near the door, blankly staring at me as if he was afraid that I'll disappear if he moved.

"Hey, Grayson." I smiled weakly.

"I half expected you to say I come back stronger than a 90's trend." He stated in all seriousness.

"Nope."

"Oh." He pinched the bridge of his nose as if deep in thought. "Not even honey I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time?"

"Nope."

"You surprise me, Miss Andress."

"I was going to climb on this bed and sing My Tears Ricochet."

"Just shut up." He frowned, trudging his way up to me and settled down on the stool. "Don't think you'll get away with this, Vittoria."

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

He slowly lifted my hand and placed it in his, the warmth of his touch spreading through my body. The beeping sound coming from the monitor caused him to divert his eyes to the screen and the infamous Rafael Grayson smirk was back.

"Wow." He chuckled. "I didn't know I could do such things to your heart, señorita?"

"Rafael!" I yelled, embarrassed.

That erupted a new round of laughter from him and hell, it worked better than these meds to heal me.

His thumb brushed over my fingers. That's when I felt it.