C H A P T E R 15

15 | Things You Do For Love

1 Month Later.

I tried keeping my hormones in check as I watched her jump up in the air, her toned legs slamming hard against the punching bag. Those sharp brown eyes were focused over the object like it was her sworn enemy. Sweat ran down her slender neck as she continued with her punches, making me gulp.

"You're staring." She stated, taking off her red punching gloves. Her eyes never bothered looking at me.

"Fight me." I blocked her way out of the basement gym, finally causing her to look up at me.

"I'm done for the day." She shoved my arm, desperately wanting to go away from me.

"I'm challenging you." I yelled, my voice echoing in the silent lobby.

It didn't stop her from walking away to the elevator like I didn't exist. That's how it has been for the past month. I rarely even saw her despite of being in the same house and workplace.

"Vittoria!" My hands gripped her fingers as she called the elevator. "I'm not done talking."

"I don't want to talk, Rafael."

"No. You don't get to make all the decisions. Listen Vittoria, your brothers barely allow me to even see you. Now when I have this little time with you, let me just be with you, please." I hooked my arm around her waist. It's been a month since I held her.

"That's exactly what we shouldn't be doing." Her tiny palms placed on my chest created a barrier between us once again. "I've tried very hard to make this distance work. I've told you a million times before. You and I can't happen. I can't do that."

The soft ping of the elevator brought me out of the daze of her hypnotizing eyes. Then all of a sudden my hands felt cold without her in my arms. The doors opened, she stepped in and they closed back, taking her away from me.

She held my gaze until the metal doors devoided me of her sight which reminded me of her fist day at work. Only this time she didn't have her middle finger flipped at me.

I was left standing out there alone, blankly staring at the closed doors of the elevator. The fear was slowly creeping back.

The fear of losing her.

She was trying to do what's right.

My definition of right was something else.

Was that the problem?

Or was our love the problem?

•••••

The sound of something toppling disrupted the surprisingly silent house. I didn't have to look back to know who it was.

"What did you break this time, Toby?"

"Nothing!" He smiled up at me sheepishly from downstairs while Allegra shook her head, picked up the show piece and putting it back neatly where it belonged.