C H A P T E R 74

74 | And I Lost You

The sound of dried leaves crunching indicated someone's presence

The sound of dried leaves crunching indicated someone's presence. I quickly wiped my tears and stared ahead at the horizon.

"Can't stay away from me, Harri boy?" I tried to sound cheerful, not turning back to face him.

He didn't say anything, just circled around the rock and took a seat next to me. That's when I realized he wasn't Harri boy.

Few moments of silence stretched like the ocean before us. I was four days away from officially losing him.

"What are you doing?" He asked in a low voice as if we were strangers meeting for the first time.

Guess we really were that.

"Watching the sun drown."

Like I was, slowly sinking to the bottom, giving up on fighting for my life.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, not taking my eyes off from the horizon.

I received silence as his answer. It wasn't helping. Not one bit.

"I wanted to see your new go to place." He replied after what felt like an eternity.

"Hmm, I love this place."

"Why?"

"It's peaceful, it's calm and it lowkey teaches an amazing life lesson."

"Really?"

"Uh huh."

"What's that?"

My gaze shifted from the ocean to the road lined along it.

"It's about how we look at things. And how the same thing changes over time. You see that, Rafael?" I pointed down at the people who looked like toy figures from this height.

"What about it?" He asked curiously.

"When we're down with them, we all seem equal. And then we slowly move apart. We reach up here at the hilltop and then they seem so small, so insignificant."

"I still don't get your point."

"I don't think I get my point either. Forget it." I waved a hand dismissively.

The deafening quietude followed. Salty air swirled up, carrying the scent of ocean. The leaves rustled and birds chirped, producing a melodic symphony. But it didn't make me feel any better.

I pulled my legs up, resting my chin over my knees. Yet another gust of air howled, highlighting the cool path of tears rolling down my cheeks which I wasn't even aware of until now.

"Uh.. I think me being here is causing you a problem. I shall leave." He got up hesitantly and progressed to leave.

I panicked.