C H A P T E R 27

27 | She Would've Made Such A Lovely Bride

You're happy, goddammit!

Stop being a bitch.

I am. I am happy that she's back home safe. I screamed inside my head, desperately fooling myself into believing that I was a good person.

I wasn't.

Seeing Camila in Rafael's arms stung like a bitch. How could I even think anything like this. Look at her condition, Vittoria. She's physically weak, probably in trauma.

My inner battle went on and on for what felt like ages.

"I'm not like this. I'm not like this. I- I'm not.." I mumbled, my gaze down to the marbled floor.

"Hey." Alli whispered. "It's natural to feel so."

Fear spiked up my chest. Did everyone notice my state?

"Don't worry. No one heard that." She whispered yet again in response to the frantic movements my eyes made. Everyone was focused on the grand reunion.

The shock gradually began to subside as I took in the sudden changes. My insecurity was unjustified. He loves me, not her.

Even so, I couldn't stop thinking from Camila's point of view. A simple gesture of him leaving my hand to go to her got me so hurt. How must she feel knowing I've taken him away– a person she loved all her life.

Suddenly, none of it felt right. Again.

Rafael's shirt, now stained with her tears became visible to me as he turned back with her still clinging to his body.

Like she fucking owns what's mine.

Shut up! My dark side was growing powerful every passing second. I had to kill it before it killed me. But how?

"How did this happen?" Rafael quizzed, demanding an explanation.

"We found her slumped near the car back in Canada." Oliver said, narrating the entire story of what happened there.

Something felt off. This didn't add up. I get why Allegra and now Nikolai's men would be there– to take Allegra back to that sick bastard. But how did Camila reach there? She was with the Visitant right?

"I don't understand anything." Rafael mumbled, his eyes not looking at me even once ever since he saw her.

"She hasn't spoken a single word." Toby said, passing her a worried glance.

"Talk to me, Mila." Rafael spoke softly, placing her hand between his warm ones.

The same hands which had held mine in a promising grip.

"Camila." He repeated in the same tone when she didn't answer. "How will we punish them if you don't tell us anything? Look, we still need to find the Visitant. I'm not letting them get away with this. They'll pay for what they've done to you." His fingers tenderly brushed her red curls from her face.