C H A P T E R 40

40 | The Big Bang Decision

"No."

I tossed the envelope on my desk, turning back to hide the fear on my face. Why was I freaking out? What happened to my years of training?

Help me Chelsea! Knock some sense into your daughter.

What was I saying! Chelsea would rather put a bullet through my head.

I kept looking out at the city skyline, waiting for her to react which she did.

"Do you want me to throw water on you in front of all your employees again?" She cringed.

"That didn't get you fired either." I retorted.

"Stop making this difficult, Rafael. Just sign the letter."

"I'm not signing that resignation letter, Miss Andress." I declared, hoping they finality in my voice conveyed the message.

Tension stretched between us and the culpable silence only elevated the effects.

As much as I hate to admit, Mason was right. It was all about my damned ego. I couldn't handle her defying my image in front of my employees. And then the power struggle transformed into an irked anger which got the best of me.

"Come." I held her hand, guiding us out of my office but I felt a soft tug a she didn't move from her spot.

"What are you up to now?" She jerked her hand away from mine.

"I'll apologize to you in front of them."

"What! No, Rafael! I'm not looking for revenge." She sighed.

"Not revenge. What I did was wrong. I shouldn't have disrespected you like that. You deserve an apology."

I meant every word. Even an apology wouldn't do any good to me. I've hurt her physically as well. Those marks on her arm have been haunting me ever since I saw them.

Yesterday I got to know what all I made her feel. There must be so much she must've kept inside her, still wary of letting it out to us. Small gestures bestowed her the greatest happiness. I should've known the same small gestures would be enough to hurt her heart.

"There's no need for it, Rafael. I don't want any more drama. Please just sign this and let me free."

"You just want to go away from me."

"That, yes. And I've got other reasons too. So please." She stated, not ready to back off.

"Like what?"

"I don't want to hurt you by saying it out loud."

"No. Say it." I stared deep into her eyes.

Let's see how much pain I could tolerate. Moreover, I deserved that pain. It was nothing compared to the one she must have been feeling.