C H A P T E R 31

31 | A Glitch In Intentions

"So this is it."

Startled, I turned back to the source of that voice and found Camila roaming her eyes over my room, already inside.

I forced myself to get over the surprise of her unexpected presence and plaster a small smile, hoping I don't come across as rude.

"Hello, Camila. Merry Christmas."

Her astonished gaze didn't stop wandering across my room, her full lips curling up in awe when she craned her neck up to look at the glass patch above my bed.

"How does it feel to suddenly switch to so much luxury? You must feel like you've hit a jackpot." She laughed derisively, hate dripping from her words.

"Camila." I sighed, staring out at the woods from the window near the reading nook. "You have all the right to hate me. I don't blame you for it." Taking a few hesitant steps, I stood before her, trying to get out of my mind the conversation I had with Rafael last night.

"And you don't hate me?" She asked, her tone calm but absolutely unfriendly.

"No, Camila, I don't. I promise you I won't get between you two. He has always been yours. In fact he still is your fiance. Things don't have to be this way between us, Camila. I know what you've been through."

"I don't think so."

I huffed on the inside, wondering if she'll ever find a way to forgive me. "Okay, whatever you feel right. Just know I'm here for you whenever you feel like talking about anything."

Her face remained devoid of any expression. All she did was stare at me blankly like I was speaking some language she didn't understand. And after that, she turned on her heels and went away.

I stood there trying to contemplate what just happened. Shaking my head, I grabbed a violet crop knit sweater, ready to change and head downstairs.

•••••

"I'm going to kill you, Tobo!" Liam jumped over the couch to chase his twin running ahead of him.

Toby's Christmas gift to his dear brother was  a spring punch box with threw a rubber lizard right over his face the moment it popped open.

Lizard was to Liam what spider was to me.

"Did you see your face? It was pure gold." Toby clutched his stomach out of the laughter fit, hiding behind Camila.

"I'm going to frame this like a fucking fiasco right here on this wall." Mason stared at the picture that he took while Liam was so close to pissing in his pants.

"Stop troubling him, you guys." Camila laughed for the first time.

"See? My girls are the best. They always support me." He wiped his invisible tears, wrapping his arms around me and Camila.