C H A P T E R 49

49 | High Infidelity, Low Faith

"What's with all these questions, Rafael?" Camila dropped the paint brush, spinning back to me with a disapproved look on her face

"What's with all these questions, Rafael?" Camila dropped the paint brush, spinning back to me with a disapproved look on her face. "You know I don't like talking about it."

"I think it's been quite a long time, Camila." I closed the door of her room, viewing the new set of paintings hanging over the wall.

"Sometimes you just have to quit chasing things you can't get." She slid her hands over my torso, locking them around my neck while I turned my face away.

"What are you doing, Camila?" I stepped back from her.

"Waiting." She walked over to a painting with vertical black lines and some sort of motifs between them.

"For what?" I watched her as she trailed her manicured finger over the canvas as if caressing it.

"For things to go back to normal." She turned back abruptly. "Stop chasing the Visitant, Rafael. Admit it that we can't reach him. We aren't strong enough. You are the Leader, Rafael. You have enough powers. Stop wanting for more."

"It's not like that, Camila-"

"It is, Rafael. It fucking is!" She grabbed my shirt, pulling me close to her. "It's what you do. You keep running for what you can't get, ignoring the things you already have. She doesn't give a fuck about you, Rafael. Accept it!"

"Stop making everything about her." I pushed her back.

"You just don't like hearing the truth." She seethed. "Vittoria has clearly moved on. She doesn't even spare you a look. How long are you going to keep running after her? She was the reason there was threat of a revolt against you in Esztar. Don't you get it, Rafael. That girl is no good for you."

"Enough!" I yelled. "Don't forget it was your father who started the revolt in the first place."

"No I haven't forgotten. I couldn't forget even if I wanted to." Her body collapsed on the bed, tears flowing down her cheeks.

My wave of anger subsided seeing her like that. I shouldn't have said that.

Raymond was killed before her eyes. That was his punishment for not succeeding with the revolt. It was a job assigned to him by the Visitant, the failure of which would cost him his as well as his daughter's life. Raymond was forced into doing it but I refuse to believe he didn't want that as well.

"I'm sorry, Mila." I sighed, sitting next to her. "Look I've promised Allegra that I'll find the Visitant. He's making everyone's life a hell. All I'm asking you is to help me with it. You've been there for so long and I know you're a smart girl. Even the smallest of clue would be a great help."

"She is using you, Rafael." Camila asserted, wiping her tears. "Allegra has always been our enemy. She's not how she appears to be. And Oliver!" She huffed. "Allegra is going to break his heart. I don't want my brother to get hurt. Don't you see how she's always with Mason? What do you think they do behind the locked doors?" She gritted, her body shaking visibly with such a rage that didn't quite sit well with me.