C H A P T E R 25

25 | The Last Day

Her eyes stared out at the setting sun as it hid itself behind the Alps while mine stared into hers

"Stop thinking now. Today is our last day here. We don't want to waste it in stressing ourselves out." I rubbed my hand along her arm.

Her eyes switched to mine before setting at the flame crinkling in the fireplace. "It's not about what happened today." She mumbled, her breath tickling my neck as she spoke.

She was sat aross my lap, her legs dangling down from the handrest of the arm chair I was seated on.

"Then what is it? What's troubling my queen?" I brushed my nose against her cheek.

Hesitation made an ephemeral appearance on her face but she blanked it out immediately.

"Vittoria? Tell me what's bothering you?"

"Did you have sex with Camila?" She blurted out, a little too harsh.

My jaw dropped down at her abrupt question. "W- what?" I stumbled over my own words.

"It was a simple question." She stated bluntly.

"Vittoria." I dragged out a sigh. "You wouldn't like the answer."

"Don't touch me." She shoved my arm away and got up angrily.

"Wait!" I pulled her back as she was. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing? I'm being so irrational and cringey. Ugh! Why am I like this?"

"I don't mind." I grinned, looking down at her. "You look cute when you're jealous."

"No, I'm sorry, really." She looked away as if ashamed.

"It was just sex. It didn't mean anything. You don't have to feel insecure, Vittoria. I assure you I've got hots and heart only for you."

Her gaze didn't meet mine but a tiny smile crawled up her lips as she mindlessly fiddled with the first undone button of my shirt. That smile bestowed me with a warmth that even this fire couldn't suffice.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, debating if it's the right thing to bring it up.

"Go ahead."

"What exactly is this story about Nate?"

Her muscles tensed. I could see her gulp a knot down her throat. Her body shivered ever so slightly, making me regret my question.

I'm such an asshole. Why did I mention it when I know she doesn't like being reminded of it.

"You don't have to talk about it. Forget I asked it."

Stupid Rafael!

She remained silent, once again looking out at the now dark night. I ran my fingers through her raven hair hoping it helps her feel a little better. None of us said a word for a fair amount of time. It was like we were afraid to break the silence.