Fifty-five

Ares

I stared at myself in the mirror feeling out of place in the suit. I turned to see Malik laughing as he looked at me. I made a face.

"Now you see first-hand how annoying this stuff is." He said. "Why can't I wear one of the many suits you have?" I asked once again.

"Because who's to say we're the same size anymore." Malik countered. I rolled my eyes before looking back at myself in the mirror. Although I had been in this body for a little while now I still found it strange. I was my own person.

I answered to no one. I could come and go as I pleased and yet the only thing, I wanted was my mate and I couldn't do anything to bring her back. I reached up touching my face. "Leave us." I heard Malik say. Once we were alone, he spoke.

"What is it?" he asked. "What if she doesn't like my new face? I mean she did fall in love with your face originally and you look more like our father." I said. "I was surprised that you went with features closer to mother's side given how you feel about her." He said.

"I may think she was a neglectful parent at times but that doesn't mean I don't still care for her. Or that she has good features. I think I chose this face because father looks like Mira and I didn't want to see the face of a woman who hates me for the rest of my life." I said. "Plus I always thought our grandfather on mother's side held an intimidating gaze that I admired" I added.

"Well, thanks for that," Malik said. I chuckled. "I didn't mean it like that," I said laughing. He smiled. "I know. I understand." He said with a nod. "As for what Ahsha will think. I'm sure she'll have some Texas saying to give you, and everything will be fine." He said.

I chuckled at that before sighing. "She's been gone for almost a month now," I mumbled. Malik turned away from me at that looking down at Nasir. "She's coming back." Was all he said.

Silence fell between us. "Mira came to visit me." Malik finally spoke as he picked up Nasir. I raised my head snapping towards him in anger. "When?" I questioned. "Several days after we spoke to mother and father." He said.

"What did she want?" I asked. "To give her condolences," Malik said as he stood turning to me. I scoffed at his words. "Her condolences?" I questioned in disbelief. "Her condolences mean nothing. I bet she was ecstatic at the idea of Ahsha being gone." I added.

==

"I was saddened to hear about Ahsha's passing," Mira spoke as she looked at her grandson. Malik rolled his eyes. "I'm sure you were." He said as he leaned forward in his seat. "Of course, I am and for you to suggest otherwise is rude. I loved Ahsha in the short time I knew her." Mira countered. "I know you spoke to her before she ran—,"

"If you're suggesting that the 5-minute conversation we shared caused her to take her life then you're deluded." She said cutting him off. Her words stung he couldn't deny that.

"Truthfully the only person any of us can blame is sadly Ares. However, because Dominic did what he needed to, we no longer have to deal with him." She said.

Malik clenched his jaw at her words to keep from lashing out. He closed his eyes taking a breath and that was when he smelled it. 'Ahsha' Pablo breathed out. Malik opened his eyes feeling his stomach drop.

Standing behind his grandmother was Ahsha. Her face held a calm demeanor as she stared at him. Her golden eyes shined brightly as she brought her index finger up to her lips telling him to be quiet.

He knew it was her way of telling him to calm down. He took another breath before his gaze shifted to Mira. "Even in death you still speak of your grandson as if he were a burden," Malik said.