Sixty-five

Omniscient

Everyone took their seats in the makeshift courtroom. "We're ready. Bring them in." Taj called. The door opened and in walked Jericho first, followed by Cairo and Tyla, and lastly Veronica.

Ahsha looked at her brother but stayed quiet. "Please state your names for the record," Dalia said. "Jericho Emilio Ahmad," he said. "Cairo Fadil Ahmad," Cairo said. "Tyla Rosemarie Torres." "Veronica Madeline Torres," she said.

The council all sat in silence for a while. Minutes ticked by before Cairo spoke. "I get why you're doing all of this, but we haven't done anything we have to own up to." He said staring between Isaac and Ahsha.

Isaac glanced at his sister, but her eyes stayed on Cairo. She tilted her head curiously. "Are you sure about that?" Isaac asked. "Yes, we haven't wronged anyone without a direct cause." He added.

"Who said this hearing was for you specifically? Having to take the stand on such a grand scale can be intimidating. Maybe we called you 4 so one of you wouldn't feel so singled out." Adrian said with a shrug.

The 4 of them glanced at each other. "Or maybe all of you have done something horrible and don't realize it," Jacob added.

"Why do you hate my sister so much?" Isaac asked drawing everyone's attention. Ahsha looked over at Isaac seeing his eyes glued to Veronica.

Veronica looked at him surprised. "I—I don't hate her." She said shaking her head. Ahsha looked at her. "Really?" Ahsha questioned.

"Now! She needs you right now. Why can't it wait until the morning?" Ahsha said staring at Veronica.

"No Isaac I get she's your sister, but you can't always go running to her because something happened between her and Malik. You almost died because of their fighting." Ahsha continued.

"She's a grown woman! Whatever happens between them is not your business," Ahsha said repeating her words verbatim.

"First of all, I'd never put my brother in harm's way. What happened at the time was out of my control." Ahsha said.

"Second if you have a problem with me, you've had a few years to address it. So, since you can't, I will." Ahsha added.

"You cannot blame me for my reaction that night. The last time my mate got wrapped up in yours and Malik's drama he was practically tortured." She said.

"That sounds fair to me. If someone put my mate in danger, I'd have some animosity towards them too." Andy said. "Maybe," Isaac said.

"If you only knew that part of the story it would all, be so easy to explain away. However, there is more. You've been cold to my sister from the beginning. I thought you had gotten past that—,"

"How could I get past it when she won't let me?" Veronica snapped. "What do you mean?" Andy asked her. "I made one mistake, and she won't let it go," Veronica said.

"What did you do?" Harrison asked. "When I first met Isaac, I didn't know they were siblings. I assumed they were a couple. They were so close; in my mind, she was standing between me and my mate. I can admit I let my initial reaction to finding my mate cloud my judgement." She explained.

Ahsha found her eyes drifting over to Ares and Malik. Malik was entertaining Nasir but Ares was staring at her with the same look, he had been giving her since she got back.

She looked back at Malik to see him now staring at her, his gaze identical to Ares's. A shiver washed over before turning her attention back to Veronica.