Sixty-one

Not edited

Ahsha

"Why did you agree to be with Rafi?" Isa asked. Emilia looked at him confused. "Because he is my mate." She said as if that should be reason enough. "So, you knew who he was—the type of being that he is and still chose to be with him, correct?" Isa asked.

"Well, I mean I didn't know the full story, but I fell for him." Emilia countered. "I see," Isa said. "Rafi, how did you know that she was your mate?" I asked. He huffed rolling his eyes. I smiled before lacing my fingers together as I stared at him. Familiar flames of Oshun began to dance around me as we stared at each other.

"Careful, Rafi. I'm trying to make this as easy as possible but if you want to make it difficult then we can. If not then just answer the questions you're asked, so we can be done." I said. "How did you know she was your mate?" I repeated the question.

He sat quietly for a moment before speaking. "My demon told me she was the one," Rafi said. I nodded my head. "How were things during your wife's pregnancy?" I asked. Both Emilia and Rafi sat up at my question.

I glanced over at Malik and Ares seeing both of them staring at me. "Well?" Andy questioned. "There were some complications, but we handled it," Rafi said. "What complications?" Jacob asked. Rafi fell silent. "After we found out we were going to have twins I was ordered to go on bed rest," Emilia said. "So, who looked after you during this time? Private nurses? Staff? Rafi?" Dalia questioned. "My mother-in-law did." She said. Once again, my gaze shifted to my mates as they looked at their parents.

"And you thought that was a good idea?" I asked turning back to the couple. "Excuse me?" Emilia questioned. "I only ask because according to several sources that were close to you, they said your mother-in-law wasn't too fond of you. In fact, many have said that you two had a very cold and distant relationship before you became pregnant. So, I'm asking why would you agree to let your mother-in-law take care of you during such a sensitive time given the fact that she didn't like you?" I asked.

I could see the pang of hurt at my question. "Mira and I weren't the closest, but we got along just fine," Emilia said. "Really?" I asked. "What are you trying to get at?" Rafi interrupted. "That maybe your wife, who came from a rough background was so desperate for a family that she let it blind her," I said. Emilia's eyes widened.

"You mentioned complications, what were they?" Adrian asked. the couple sat quiet, staring at me. Emilia had tears in her eyes while Rafi looked pissed. "You were asked a question," Isaac said. "I was only about two months or so into my pregnancy when I was put on bed rest. By the time I was halfway in I had lost one of my babies." Emilia explained. Whispers broke out across the room at Emilia's words.

"How?" I asked leaning forward. "What?" Rafi snapped rising to his feet. "What led up to you losing the baby?" I elaborated on my question. Emilia glanced at her husband shrinking back before her eyes met mine. My eyes softened. Before I could do anything, Isa tapped on the wooden desk twice causing Rafi to forcefully sit down and be quiet. "What led up to you losing the baby?" I repeated the question.

"Before I found out I was pregnant Rafi and I had gotten into an argument." She paused. "He's not like that anymore." She quickly said. I nodded my head. "We used to get into arguments all the time, but I was used to it. I could handle it until I couldn't. This 'disagreement' got so bad that after blacking out I woke up in a hospital bed with bruises covering my body." Emilia said.

"Rafi came and in rushing to my side apologizing over and over. When the doctor joined us, he asked me how far along was I. That's how I found out I was pregnant with twins. The doctor told me that I needed to be more careful and that I need to take better care of myself because one of my babies was so much smaller than the other. If I took another fall like that, I could lose the babies. If anybody saw me, they would've known that I hadn't fallen." Emilia explained.