144

"Shit." Colby hissed then took my hand. "What are you doing?" I asked as he tried to push me towards the closet.

"I'm hiding you." He said as I shook my head.

"Colby. No. We're in this together." I said as the sound of heavy boots walking up the stairs surrounded us.

"It's my fault, Violet. Now just go." He said then pushed me towards the closet.

I felt my heart racing as the fear flooded my chest. "Don't touch me." I whispered as his face softened.

Before he could say anything though the door was being swung open and an officer was standing there with a gun drawn at us.

"Put your hands up!" He barked causing me to flinch. I was now hyperaware of everyone and everything and I was scared shitless.

I put my hands above my head and took a step back as my body trembled.

"What are you doing here?" The officer asked aggressively as Colby stepped in front of me slightly.

"We were just exploring." Colby said, holding his hands above his head. "Right, so you didn't break into this home?" The officer asked as two more came into the room, all with guns drawn.

"We thought it was abandoned. We mean no harm." Colby said calmly as my eyes watered.

"Likely story. Tell it to your lawyer. You're under arrest." The officer said then grabbed Colby's arm aggressively, pulling it behind his back.

I flinched at his aggression as Colby's jaw clenched. I watched as one of the other cops came over to me, doing the same thing to me.

I whimpered in pain at how hard he pulled my arm down.

We weren't even being a problem, they didn't need to be so aggressive.

Once we were both cuffed they aggressively pulled us down the stairs.

Once we were down the stairs the officer that was guiding me pulled me harshly by the arm. "Please stop." I begged as Colby snapped his head around to see what was going on.

"Be gentle with her." Colby growled as the officer scoffed. "Keep your mouth shut." He said as I shook my head, silently telling Colby to not worry.

I was terrified but I didn't want him to get into any more trouble.

"We'll meet you there." The officer that was dragging me in said to the one that was dragging Colby.

"Colby..." I said quietly, hearing the fear in my voice. "It's gonna be okay, V. You're gonna be okay." He said as they shoved him into the back of a cop car.

"There's been a mistake...we didn't mean any harm." I said to the cop that was holding onto my arm so tightly I thought it would bruise.

"Staying quiet is probably the best option right now princess. I know mommy and daddy probably never disciplined you but you're gonna learn from this." The officer said as my heart sank.

There was no reason for him to speak to me like this.

I kept my mouth shut as the cop shoved me into the back of his car. "Can you loosen the cuffs?" I mumbled, feeling the metal cutting my skin.

"Cute." The officer said as he got in the car. I sighed then looked out the window, knowing that whatever I said would be scrutinized by the misogynist that was the police officer.

As we drove I could feel the anxiety boiling up but not for me. Colby was already a felon, which meant he would probably get in worse trouble than me.