Chapter 2 - Axel

"I assure you the money will be sent, please. I just need more time." The supposed high mighty man before my brother spoke, his voice laced with worry, and a face of uneasiness behind that shit ass poker face. I could see a gleam of fear behind his eyes, trying its best not to seep out.

Chuckling, I leaned my back against the wall, behind Roman who sat in the chair in front-just off to the right. I averted my eyes directly at the asshole on the opposite side of the room, glaring at him. "I don't like liars, Gabriel," Roman said, crossing his arms over his chest, voice stern.

The guy swallowed, and I watched as he sunk his ass in the cushion beneath him. My brother waited for the fucker to go ahead and tell another bullshit lie, but he didn't. Why? Because the Santiago's were in his home right now-with more power than he'd ever had. Nobody ever dared to lie to us, unless they were willing to know how we decided their fate.

Three brothers: the most cold-hearted and ruthless killers of Strixfield-the city we own. The people too, no doubt about that, they were terrified and they should've been. One wrong move and they were oblivion.

We were the most feared and respected-certainly out of fear, of course. My brothers and I handled business the way people didn't like it-we fought, killed, and compelled people to do what we wanted. In the sickest ways, our words and actions could get the job done. Everybody hated it but that's just how we liked it.

We didn't like people who thought they could control us, push us around and tell us what to do-that was our job. People needed to know their place and where they stood, and we were here, ready to show them.

But, what ticked us off the most were insults, and they got thrown around a lot. It was a shame, really, I wished people weren't so stupid and knew not to cross a line, because once they had, my hands got dirty-not that I complained much. It was fun, but sometimes it got messy. Messy was for Creed, not me.

Roman - opposite me. He planned and took care of business. His emotions weren't easy to read but weren't hard either-he kept himself collected for the most part so people wouldn't see how he felt or acted, but his impatience didn't go unnoticed, so typically you'd know if he was ready to kill or not.

Creed - on Roman's right, leaning against the desk. He taunted carelessly and when ready or mostly whenever he killed. He was a fucking serial killer the way he acted and very serious, but sometimes he acted as a child and people underestimated him because of it. But don't be fooled, his childish ways turned into him destroying things or people recklessly.

And me. I observed carefully and slowly, taking note of every damn thing. I read the room, the people-their emotions, body movements, and words. Roman thought it was weird but knew it was very useful. I knew exactly what someone would do next and when, and then I struck. Quickly and steadily.

Unlike Roman, my poker face was too good-you couldn't read me-know what I was feeling or thinking. And it wasn't because you were stupid and blind, or maybe you were, but it was because I didn't let you unless I wanted you to. I didn't like giving out too much because I liked when they wondered.

They wondered with a face of fear and worry because they didn't know what I was really capable of.

"The deadline was two weeks ago. My brothers and I decided to play nice and let you slip away for that long, but now," Roman hummed, shrugging his shoulders and tilting his head to the side slightly. "The game is over, Gabriel. We're going to kill you and take what we came here for." He tapped a finger on the table, eyeing the guy.

"Give me one day and you'll have-"

"Give me one day-another year wouldn't be enough time for you, asshole. Stop wasting our fucking time," he sneered and pulled out his gun from the waistband of his suit pants. Gabriel sucked in a shaky breath, not able to look at Roman or in mine and Creed's direction, either. I couldn't help but smile.