Chapter 45 - Kez

WARNING: SEXUAL HARASSMENT

7 years ago

Fifteen minutes I've been waiting in this damn car alone. Jason said he'll only be five minutes but it's been more. I have plans but we are far from the city, and I won't make it back in time, it's aggravating me.

Huffing, I gaze out of my window and take a quick scan at the houses lined up before looking forward. All the lights on the street are out but I can still see the abandoned house just a few feet from the car, as the moon sheds light down on it. As I stare at it, a random chill runs up my back, leaving the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I've come to this place more times than I can count and each time it gets creepier and creepier.

I force my eyes away and reach for the door, slipping my fingers around the handle, ready to pull the door open, but just as I pull it back I stop myself. I want to go out and find my boyfriend because this is getting ridiculous, but something stops me from going. Fear. I don't usually get afraid but tonight is different.

Telling myself 'whatever', I grab my phone and turn the flashlight on and then hop out of the car. Luckily it isn't cold but I still zip up my jacket. Silence floats throughout the neighbourhood, the only thing heard is the rustling of leaves on the floor, as they glide across the road.

Creeping towards the house, I look over my shoulder just in case. The street is so deep and dark, and when you stare down the road it feels like it goes on forever-like there isn't an exit-you just keep going down and it gets deeper and darker; there's no way out. It gives me the chills, so I turn and continue walking.

I pause in front of the house, only a few steps from the door, and I quickly slip my sleeve over my hand before stepping up and turning the handle. Walking inside, I shine the light down the stairs, the door shuts behind me and I jump.

"Jesus Christ!" I whisper-yell, palming my hand over my heart. I glance behind me once and roll my eyes, continuing forward.

It's silent as I make my way down the steps, and further and further it becomes colder. Goosebumps start rising on the surface of my skin and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up greater than before. I pull my hoodie over my head and once I get to the bottom of the steps I turn left and continue down that way.

A couple of steps further and I twist to the right, shining my flash down another set of stairs, but as soon as I take one step down the flash goes out. What the fuck. I hold down the on/off button and groan when the dead battery symbol pops up on the screen, then I clench my jaw and stuff the phone into the back pocket of my jeans.

It's dark and creepy as it is and now I have no light, nothing to show me where I'm heading-there wasn't even a small glow of moonlight in here to show the way. I guess I'm lucky the entrance to get where I wanted ends right here.

Pressing my hands flat on the wall, I slowly glide them over the bumpy surface, using it as a guide, and one leg I stretch out, slightly bending the other. I feel along the wall as well as the next step, carefully taking it and the next and then the next. Once I safely reach the bottom, the wall ends but I quickly slide my hands over the edge of it and feel for the lever on the other side.

I sigh in relief, finding the one thing that brightens up the whole place, but when I push it up my stomach immediately sinks. Shit, shit, shit. I force a swallow and whirl around, blinking my eyes at the darkness as if it were a spotlight shining right in my sensitive vision.