Chapter 28 - Axel

I placed the cigarette between my lips every few beats, taking in slow deep drags; the strong toxic smoke filling my lungs and allowing the heated anger that pained inside me to cool down each time I breathed it in.

I hid in my room, away from the blasting music and loud chatter of the party downstairs. It echoed from behind my bedroom door, the ear-deafening sounds bouncing off of it. I didn't particularly have an interest in house parties or any parties at all, but Creed did, and he hosted it without my acknowledgment.

My brother loved the noise and everything that kept him alive; the screaming music and people, drugs and alcohol, the pounding headache that followed him through to the next day, and all the rush of adrenaline-the type that kept you in the moment and had you begging for more so you wouldn't be in your head.

He had a big personality, the kind of personality that lived for the thrill-the kind I dreaded. It was always filthy money, fast cars, pills and booze, bitches, sex, and an overly concerning need to gut somebody then feed their organs to the next.

Creed lived for the ride of experiencing life to the fullest-never missing a chance at something fun. He was the life of the party.

Cocking my head up, I flicked the ash off the balcony, staring into the darkness ahead as I brought the bud between my lips again. The small cast of moonlight overshadowed the tall trees from afar, allowing some sort of light comfort to ease into me.

Kez and Roman had been gone for a while which left me on edge, though I knew nothing bad happened to them. I was feeling something and it wasn't just concern but rather curiosity, because getting information didn't take up this much unnecessary time.

And even though that didn't bother me as much, on top of it I was starting to get lost in my head for the first time in a while. I had been thinking about Creed giving pills to Vixen and my past, and the loud music didn't help drown those thoughts out so I decided to come up here and set them straight.

It didn't work as planned but I was definitely in my current mind more than my younger self's, and I could see exactly what was in front of me-not some figure of my imagination.

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair and turned around, my back collided with the glass balustrade railing and I slid onto the ground, resting my elbows on my knees. Tilting my head back, I closed my eyes and placed the cigarette in my mouth, leaving it there.

I wasn't mad at my brother for giving Kez the drugs, I was disappointed he started dealing again, no doubt using too. And I definitely wasn't mad she took them, because she didn't know and I shouldn't be angry about it.

"You're missing all the fun down in the catacombs."

My eyes shot open and I pulled the bud from my mouth, gazing forward. Ricky strolled through, closing the door behind him, and I huffed. "You shouldn't be down there, Ricky. If tía finds out your ass is in shit," I said, my voice coming out in a sort of whisper.

He shook his head and stepped over the threshold, walking toward me. "I'm old enough, Axel, don't baby me. And my mom won't find out because you won't say shit," he scowled, sitting beside me.

Chuckling, I gazed at him and took a puff before handing the bud over, then I blew the smoke up in the cold air, watching it disappear into the night sky. Nudging Ricky's arm with my elbow, I smirked. "Are you threatening me, cousin?" I laughed this time.

Groaning and taking a drag, he then handed it back, shaking his head, again. I waited a moment, watching how his face twisted as though something was wrong, then, he suddenly started coughing vigorously, slapping his chest repeatedly.