Chapter 49 - Axel

"Put me down!" Kez shouted, slapping me in the chest with her free hand. I only laughed, continuing my walk toward the pool. I wasn't going to throw her in, but she didn't need to know that. "I just got my cast replaced! Axel!" she went on, letting her small hand pound and pound against me. Her hits were pretty decent-I mean, she slapped hard-but there wasn't much power, so it wasn't hard enough to hurt me.

Reaching the edge of the pool, I swung her in my arms. "One," I counted, ignoring her screams, "two..."

"Axel!" she tightly closed her eyes, wrapping her other arm around my neck. Kez held onto me as if her life depended on it. I could only stand there with her in my arms and laugh almost hysterically.

"Three!" I yelled, watching her cling to me like a little girl clinging to her parents. Rocking her forward once more, I then spun on my heels, throwing my head back whilst in a laughing fit.

"Fuck you," she snapped, hitting me with her fist instead this time, and I looked down at the salty look on her face before dropping her onto the ground. "You're such an asshole." she shoved my chest. I pressed my lips together, trying to hold my laugh at bay, but as she strutted off in an angry manner, I couldn't hold it back anymore.

Following behind her, I strung my arm out and grabbed her wrist, and she immediately turned around and scowled at me. "Aye," I said, "I wasn't actually going to do it."

"Bullshit," she sniggered, standing there, the crease between her eyebrows showing her outrage, and I couldn't help but stare with a grin on my face. I thought she said something but I wasn't listening because I was too busy getting a kick out of this. "Keep laughing, it's real mature." she scoffed, and I let her go as she pulled her arm back. She didn't look at me twice before running off.

Chuckling, I watched her walk past Damon-who was also laughing-scowling at him, too. "Laugh it off, assholes," she said, flipping off the both of us while she slipped through the back door.

I smirked and sucked my bottom lip between my teeth, gazing at her ass as she walked off. She was so hot when she was angry. Huffing, I grabbed the lighter and a cigarette from D, sitting down on the chair opposite him. I held the bud between my lips and lit the end, tossing the lighter back to him across the table.

"How'd she get it wet?" he asked, tapping the ash into the ashtray.

I stared at him, a hard look on my face as I took a slow drag, then I moved the cigarette and blew out a cloud of smoke. He swallowed, and I could see how intimidated he looked despite not taking his eyes off mine. "Do you really wanna know?"

He tsk-ed, shaking his head. "Forget I asked."

I smiled, half rolling my eyes. Popping my right leg up onto the chair on my right-adjacent to me, I rested my head back and placed the cigarette between my lips again, taking another puff. Silence floated around us for a few beats, and as well as the toxicity running through my body the quiet relaxed me, too. I took the moment to switch off my brain, letting all of my unwanted thoughts disappear.

"He'd be so happy." huh? My brows furrowed, I tipped my head forward and looked at Damon in confusion. He licked his lips. "If my cousin were still here he'd be happy to see you happy."

It didn't take a second for tears to prick the back of my eyes and my chest to tighten-like someone had taken my heart and squeezed till their hands turned white. I sucked in a deep breath, trying to hold my tears back, but once I exhaled a tear fell from my left eye. Thankfully, Damon was too busy looking at the ground to notice me falter.

Taking a slow and careful drag, I pulled the bud away and blew out the white fog, staring at the empty chair beside me through the window. I quickly wiped the single tear running down my face only for another one to trickle down, as my brain made up an image of Killian sitting right by me. God, I hated it. Even when he wasn't here he was still fucking here.