Chapter 36 - Axel

Laying in bed, I stared up at the ceiling, listening to Kez's soft breathing as she slept beside me, peacefully. It wasn't long after I took care of her that she fell asleep, her exhausted body giving up the minute it hit the bed.

It was funny, though, she had enough energy to persist in sleeping on the couch, but of course, as much as she did it didn't happen. I wouldn't let her be left alone, not even in the next room over despite me and my brothers being in the house. I couldn't have her taken again.

Letting Kez be by herself knowing there were people more dangerous than us out there was a risk I wouldn't take. And I didn't care if it was in the damn house, the backyard or the front, I wouldn't let her go anywhere alone. If I had to I'd follow her around like a lost fucking puppy, and I wouldn't give a shit if we had millions of arguments because I would not leave her be. Big girls could suck it up.

Although Julio hadn't hurt her there were plenty of opportunities to do so in the future. I knew my father and I knew he'd do anything to set us off. Anything.

Almost begging her, I promised to keep my hands to myself if she just stayed but I couldn't help to hold her hand whilst she slept, my fingers threaded through hers. I was afraid if some part of me wasn't holding her that she would get taken from me, again. But if anything, I'd fucking sacrifice myself to get her back.

Blinking, I turned to Kez, attentively letting my eyes absorb her soft and peaceful form. She was quiet, the only sound coming from her pretty pink lips was her breathing, as it slowly flowed in and out. At a slow pace, I allowed my gaze to fall, brushing my eyes over her neck, reading the little word bitch tattooed in black ink there, and then I continued further down, ingraining her beautiful imperfections into my head so I could kiss all over them later.

Then, my eyes glided over her covered frame, precisely taking in the drop of the sheet as her waist dipped a bit, giving her a small hourglass shape. And then I trailed them over her thighs, stopping to slowly capture the laying Doberman on her left thigh-sitting at the base.

I found it rather intriguing that Kez, my brothers and I had the same dog tattooed; in different places and positions. I wondered if she had realized it meant she was one of us-a Santiago. The Dobermans represented each one of us; Roman was devoted, Creed was menaced, and I diligent.

And Kez, well, she was veracious, and I particularly thought her honesty was something rather special. We always needed somebody who was truthful, somebody who was able to put us in our place.

Swallowing, my gaze shifted back up, and I rested my eyes on the little dip of her button nose before taking my hand and brushing away the hair falling across her face. Then, I took the back of my hand and gently caressed her soft cheek. "Mi amor," I whispered. My little Vixen was beautiful. I wanted desperately to kiss her right there, but I'd disturb her.

Sighing, I brought my hand back and then quietly rolled out of bed, so as not to wake her, and I walked to the door, grabbing my towel from behind it before heading into the bathroom for a shower.

I should be mad at her, and I wanted to be because the brat ran off on her own when she wasn't supposed to-when I told her there were dangerous people out there. But Kez could do whatever the fuck she wanted because she wasn't a child, which gave me no reason to be mad at her. The only fuckers who deserved it were Ricky and Damon, I gave them an order and they disobeyed it.

Though, maybe I should've punished myself for it; for her being taken was my fault. I didn't warn her enough when I should of and I didn't keep her with me like I fucking should of. In a way, I felt responsible.

Wetting my lips with my tongue, I turned the water on, not giving single care how cold it was as I jumped right under it, allowing the water to soak into my hair and run down my body. I grunted out and ran both hands through my hair, pushing it all back, and I let the water run down my face.