Chapter 57 - Kez

I stood frozen in front of my house, a thick lump growing at the back of my throat as I stared at the black pickup truck parked in the driveway. The longer I kept my eyes glued on it the faster my heart pounded against my chest. This couldn't be happening... this couldn't be fucking happening.

I was ready to storm inside that house and flip it upside down, but all of my confidence disappeared the second I saw that stupid truck.

Fear rushed through me instead, the events of that night replaying inside my head. I couldn't do this anymore-not a chance. Just the thought of seeing his face made my breathing quicken and my hands shake.

"I can't do this," I said, snapping out of my head and whirling around.

"What?" Axel questioned. I only glanced at him and walked back to the Camaro, a few paces away from me, jumping in. I saw Roman and Creed through the window shield, looking confused, and Axel quickly made his way over.

He pulled the door open and leaned down, hanging one arm off the door and the other above his head. "Hey, is there something wrong? You seemed uneasy back there."

I swallowed, turning away from him. "You see that truck?" I asked.

He straightened up and took a glance, leaning back down. "Yeah."

"It belongs to my prick of an ex-boyfriend," I muttered, biting the inside of my bottom lip.

"Jason?" His brows furrowed in. I nodded. Axel's jaw quickly tightened and he pulled back, straightening up. I groaned and swung my legs out of the car, peering up at him.

"Whatever you are thinking, it's not happening." I shook my head. "We're going home."

Pulling my legs back inside the car, I reached out for the door but Axel caught it way before I could even start closing the damn thing.

"Are you going to tell me what the fuck is wrong?" He almost hissed.

My body tensed and I forced a swallow, turning away. Tears immediately started pooling in my eyes, and biting the inside of my bottom lip failed to suppress them. They fell fast, dropping onto the car seat.

"I'm sorry," he said, with a gentle tone. I sniffled and quickly wiped my fingers under my right eye, hoping he wouldn't notice. He did. "Kez." His voice sounded again, and I ignored him. "Baby, look at me." He shifted beside me, placing a hand on my knee.

I ignored him for a second time, and he grabbed my chin with his free hand and forced me to look down at him, as he was kneeled to the ground. "Talk to me, please." He looked at me with soft eyes, brushing my hair behind my right ear, then swiping his thumb under my eye.

"I can't do this when I know he's in there," I cried, mildly shaking my head. "I can't. I wanna go home."

"Hey, listen to me." He grabbed my head in his hands, gently rubbing his thumbs on the sides of my face. "I know what you're thinking and you're wrong. Nothing's going to happen to you." Axel reassured me, dropping one hand and grabbing a hold of mine. "You have me and you have my brothers-plus we're all armed. They won't pull any kind of shit."

My tears slowly came to a halt and I nodded, wiping my wet face with my hand. He was right, I couldn't deny it. They had my back, I knew it, but the unpleasant surprise wasn't something I could hold my reaction back from.

"Yeah," I muttered, sniffling. "You're right." A soft smile spread on his face and he swiped his thumb under my eye one last time before pulling away. "I'm sorry for being such a crybaby just now." I chuckled.

"Don't apologise," he returned, grabbing my hands and helping me out of the car. "You had every right to react that way."

Closing the space between us, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders; hugging me close to him. I lazily rested my hands on his hips-my head on his chest.