Chapter 34 - Kez

My head was spinning, causing an insufferable headache to pulsate frantically across the front of my brain, making it extremely hard for me to concentrate on all the thoughts that so desperately wanted to catch my attention. But the only one I could reach out for and grab was the last of my memory-the pained poking sensation of a needle piercing through my flesh.

Something sick in my gut churned, and I wanted to cry and scream for help as much as I did when I was attacked, but my mind was too weak to send signals to my body, registering for it to function. And without even uttering a word, I just knew how scratchy my voice was.

As I swallowed, a thick lump caught in the back of my throat, the irritable pain against my oesophagus making my brows pull inward, and a silent whimper lodged its way out of my mouth.

Moaning, I scrunched my eyelids tight before blinking them open, trying to adjust my vision to the sunlight shining in my eyes, and I managed to straighten my neck. It rested on the side awkwardly, so as I did so a sour pain shot down the side of my left shoulder.

Slowly, my hazy sight focused properly, allowing the blindness in my eyes to disappear, and I licked my dry lips, staring at an office set up opposite me. It was evident I had been chased down, sedated, and taken without my will by none other than a man I should've been told to steer clear of many more times than I was. But the thing I was most confused about was why I was seated in a tidied room; free of any shackles or mean eyes stopping me from running.

I guess Julio was unmindful about the fact that I could start my escape plan and be free of his imprisonment because he didn't seem to have been bothered to chain me down to the chair-unable to leave this oddly perfect room.

Forcing myself to swallow, again, I repositioned myself in the chair, instead of being slouched, and I slowly scanned my surroundings, trying to come to my senses of if this was real and I wasn't dreaming. I wished I was.

Half turning in the seat, I looked behind me curiously, surveying the white furbished door. I wasn't even the slightest bothered to try and see if it was locked. People who were kidnapped weren't given the right to leave. We all knew that. Tapping my index finger on the armrest, I turned back around, and this time slouched comfortably in the chair, biting the inside of my bottom lip anxiously.

It was stupid to have wanted somebody already sitting opposite me as I awoke from my sedation, but in the matter, I didn't care, I just wanted the reason of why they took me to be known already and my imprisonment to be over and done with, instead of having to wait an eternity for someone to walk through the door.

Just as I groaned, a creak sounded from behind me, and I froze. I guess it didn't make sense to be unsettled because I knew coming face to face with someone was bound to happen, sooner or later.

"You aren't much of an escapee?" A deep voice resounded around the place, an almost thick Spanish accent drumming inside my ears.

I became frantic, unsure if I should face the man or answer his genuine question. Instead, I sat still and continued to bite the inside of my lip, listening quietly as his footsteps came closer. My gaze turned to the floor and I watched his shoes as he rounded the table, stopping in the centre-right behind it, and then I lifted my gaze a bit, watching him seat himself down, quietly.

It was quite unusual for somebody who was the don of a fucking cartel to have been eerily calm and not have me locked away, threatened and beaten. But I guess I should be happy despite that he could have saved it for later. I was oddly comforted with being inside this warm office, but I didn't want to think of the best because it almost always turned out for the worst.

Sucking my bottom lip between my teeth, I decided to look up, and my eyes just about popped out from their sockets as I captured the appearance of the man before me. There wasn't a single sentence that could describe what he looked like beside one word; a name rather.