Chapter 20 - Kez

12 years ago

"Daddy!" My little voice shouts as I creep downstairs, curving around the staircase. Silence floats in the air, and my little brain tells me I'm left at home, all alone.

Pursing my lips to the side, I step into the living room, my feet taking me into the next room-opposite the one I'm in. "Dad," I call out again, this time low, my voice laced with uncertainty. I'm unsure if I should continue searching for my father, if he is busy he'd probably get mad, and I'll be in serious trouble.

Sighing, I move around to the empty foyer instead, striding down the short hallway just off to my right, behind the room I was in. I pass the basement door on my and curve left, making my way under the archway, the dining room in front view.

Maribel-the housemaid-walks through the kitchen archway ahead, moving toward me with the sweetest smile plastered across her middle age face-still looking so young and pure as ever. "Amalia," she says my name, warning set on the tip of her tongue.

I smile innocently and step forward, my arms pinned behind my back, like a doorman waiting to open the entrance. Fluttering my eyelids, I look up at her through my lashes, allowing my aura to radiate happiness-like sunflowers and daisies.

"Bel." I chuckle, turning my gaze on the freshly baked cookies she has sitting on a tray in her hands. "Could I have a cookie, please?" I ask, batting my eyelashes, and my mouth drools for the delicious chocolate cookies.

Humming, she shifts her arms higher and sighs. Pouting, I peer up at her, and she shakes her head at me, pressing her thin lips together. "How was school?" She questions, slouching her shoulders back.

"The same, like every other day." Letting a breath out, I bring my arms to the front and scratch at my left wrist. "How was your day, tantine?" I ask politely, earning a smile from her.

She puts her arms out again, placing them lower so I could see the cookies properly. "My day was rather splendid, bel enfant," she speaks fondly, allowing me to take one of her yummy cookies as the nodding of her head assures me to.

My smile widens when I grab one, and I quite literally gawk at the treat. Slowly taking a step back, I shift the food into my mouth and take one big bite-the rich and very tasty chocolate spills all over my tongue-making my tastebuds spark with excitement, and I can't help but close my eyes and moan how good it tastes.

I savor every bit of the cookie, and when I swallow it follows. My soul lights up whenever Maribel is around, she is the only person who cares enough to make me the happiest little girl in my world full of horrors.

"Do they taste alright?" Maribel utters, sounding worried. I didn't like when Miss Maribel spoke that way. It's as if she didn't want to disappoint me-with her baking I mean-or her overall cooking.

I shake my head and take another bite, a small piece, though. My tiny hand covers my mouth whilst I chew, "Tes biscuits sont magnifiques, Maribel, please don't doubt yourself." Giving her a genuine smile, she offers one back and moves past me.

Whirling around, I watch as she sets the tray onto the wooden table. "Thank you, my dear," she mutters. "Your French is getting better, Amalia. Your father will be proud."