Mate

[Evan's POV]

I sit on my bed holding the gun that Devin had left on our doorstep more than 7 years ago. we hadn't heard from him since he took Quinton after school and left him unconscious under a dumpster. He'd texted Taissa at least once every year since but she didn't reply, she was terrified of him ever since then. I pull open the ammo, it was loaded. As I push it back into place Taissa pushes the door open to our bedroom, nearly jumping out her skin as she see's me with the pistol.

"What the hell are you doing with that?!" She exclaims, standing stiffly. I chuckle, setting it on the bed.

"I was just lookin', " She sighs relived, and sits down next to me, leaning against me. "Uhh, I'm tired." I flop back onto the bed, her head on my chest. I loosely run my hands through her light hair. We lie like that for what seems like a few minutes but as I glance at the clock its 11:45pm.

"Tai." I whisper, and she doesn't budge - sound asleep. Gently I wedge my arm under neath her so I can slip out from under her. I jump as the gun drops on the floor, luckily not going off, I had forgotten it was on the floor. I pick it up and put it back in the bedside table - locking the drawer. Then I go downstairs, turning off all the lights and locking the door. When my fingers flick the metal knob to lock it, there's a knock. Without thinking it pull it open, staring in the dark at two figures.

"Is Quinn there?" The taller one asks. My eyes begin to adjust and I get a good look at them. The one that spoke was lanky, wore a buzz cut and dark bags under his eyes. He looked 17 or 18, older than Quinton for sure. The smaller one was actually a girl - she looked as rough as her buddy was. She wore baggy clothes - her hair was a dark black, cut at odd angles. Her nose and lip were pierced, but she seemed as old as Quinn.

"Who's askin?" I question them. Who was Quinton hanging out with , this wasn't the usual group of friends I knew. The two exchanged glances.

"Joey" The guy says then points a finger at the girl. "Dakota." I noticed he had a very vague english accent, not the proper classy one.

"It's midnight." I eye them, keeping a grip on the door. The girl - Dakota - rolls her eyes.

"The kid owes us money." Joey huffs, stuffing his large hands in his pockets.

"Wait - he owes you money?" I didn't have a great feeling about this, what has Quinton gotten himself into. Since when did he hang out with kids like this. He was always into skateboarding and I had nothing against it but there always were some shady kids that hung out there. Joey nods. "What for?"

Again the two exchange looks. "We can't tell you that, mate." Joey huffs. I shake my head closing the door but a long foot is wedged in between it. "He owes me money."

"You'll get your money, just come back tomorrow - noon." I say, closing up the door and turning the deadbolt.

What the hell did he owe money for?